Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

special buckets for mechanical shovels

trombeur ยท 2021-06-02 04:53

special buckets for mechanical shovels Peterson Demolition Bucket could you explain to me the different types of buckets and what uses they would have? I have seen these buckets in many used machines. thank you. which are the most used. Four in one bucket

Replies8
  1. #1John C.2021-06-06 13:47

    It is funny the different types of nomenclature in other countries and even in different parts of any country. The machines in the photos in the US would usually be named a track loader but I have seen and heard them called shovels in other countries. The buckets shown have been called 4 in 1 normally but I have heard plenty of people call the clam shells. I'm sure there are other names in other places for the same thing. The 4 in1 has many uses but in my time the primary use was in demolition. They were built very heavy and they took a heck of a beating. I have seen them in different configurations for log handling and clearing and grubbing land for development. Excavators have largely taken over the larger tasks the track loaders used to accomplish. The nomenclature is being confused a bit now days by the skid steer loaders, now being know as compact track loaders or CTL. The CTLs are taking over many of the small projects that the older heavier track loaders used to accomplish. Easier to haul between job sites, much faster ground speed and less impact on the ground allow a much smaller outlay of capital for smaller companies to get in the business with. Many variations of the same style of bucket are being used on the CTL lines of machines. All have quick couplers allowing a greater range of use for the CTL machines.

  2. #2trombeur2021-06-07 02:20

    thanks for the clarification, I think the first bucket is for railway work, handling railway sleepers am I wrong?

  3. #3John C.2021-06-07 10:08

    I suppose it could be. Possibly the stuff in the background of the photo might clue us in to this machine's particular use but I have seen buckets like that used in demolition.

  4. #4skyking12021-06-07 10:51

    Rhine has one just like it down the street, they are a demo shop. Old railway sleepers are demo materials. New sleepers are concrete and handled with much more care. The other common use for the 4 in 1 is restoration work with backhoes and loaders. That light one with the forks is one such case. you can grab up a little bit of strippings or rubble or stones that you can't grade out alongside the road, and get it in the dump truck. Stuff comes out of the ditch that just does not go back

  5. #5trombeur2021-06-07 11:46

    thanks for the clarification, the bucket 4 in a drott type, is also used in our parts in some backhoe or in some loader, the first with the biting clamshell jaw I have only seen it in some photos or in some fair mounted on a mini shovel could also be used for the metals and special waste sector I can deduce from the conformation of the bucket like a vice a claw to grab, like the grapple to handle logs. am I wrong?

  6. #6skyking12021-06-07 14:01

    Operators will use them for whatever they can get away with that big drott claw would be great for grabbing chunks of concrete on a demo job. That's probably what Rhine uses it for down the street. I will take a walk through their yard today and take some pictures they have quite a collection of iron.

  7. #7skyking12021-06-07 14:02

    That pair that you pictured with the forks are for utility work. The forks are for the pipe and the four-way bucket is for whatever you need.

  8. #8trombeur2021-06-08 02:19

    I think it is a very versatile tool that can be used on different occasions and applications, perhaps as a hydraulic pincer to grab large pieces of concrete boulders when you have to shovel and clear rubble or rubble, perhaps in the countryside to weed out tree stumps or quarry boulders, versatile as a Swiss army knife, this is the experience and professionalism of the operator.