Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Special tool for Hydrolic cylinder

03 EC210 ยท 2016-12-28 17:51

I have a 2010 cat 305D CR (jxer00267) it just started its first leak on the boom swing cylinder. This machine is in like new condition and I can't bring myself to use a pipe wrench to dismantle the cylinder. Does anyone have a place I may be able to buy the proper tool at a reasonable price? Or another method that won't gouge up the head? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2016-12-28 18:26

    What type of gland is it? A "gland wrench" is what you usually want, there are pin type and slot type, maybe more?

  2. #203 EC2102016-12-28 18:38

    It has three slots around the outside

  3. #3Delmer2016-12-28 19:25

    https://www.amazon.com/Williams-WS-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EKZMKX5TWK5D3XVAPF48 So you want something like this. Or make one from a section of pipe big enough to fit over the gland and the rod eye, with three pieces of keystock welded inside for your teeth, more secure and less likely to slip.

  4. #403 EC2102016-12-28 20:04

    Yes Love the pipe idea I could weld a handle on pipe or use the pipe wrench on it Thank You Delmer

  5. #5Delmer2016-12-28 20:22

    Yep, and if the pipe doesn't fit exactly, you slice it lengthwise for the part that will fit the gland, and most of the way around the circumference. Add or remove material from the lengthwise cut and weld it back together any size you want it.

  6. #6RZucker2016-12-28 20:41

    OTC makes several versions of their adjustable hook type spanner wrenches. The harder the pull... the better they grip.