Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spectra CR600 receiver

Boiled Owl ยท 2015-12-26 09:43

I get into a few short runs where I need to keep on grade like ditch cleaning & tile outlets. Not sure I can really justify a LR 60W with the angle compensation. Does anyone here have experience using the CR600 combination receiver with their excavator? Just to eliminate a man or me climbing out and checking with a stick.

Replies3
  1. #1powerjoke2015-12-26 11:32

    We have a couple of them it'll get you close but not spot on yes it will definatly cut down your times, just be careful we have had a lot of trouble with the receivers especially if they spend too much time on the magnet getting beat around on the end of a stick, we normally trash one a year for some reason they'll just quite working. Rick

  2. #2Twisted2015-12-27 10:41

    I have one that is 3 seasons old and one that is 2 seasons. They have been good, trouble-free units for the most part. I have knocked them off the stick many times, ran them over in the mud and left them in the rain for weeks. The only issue I've had is a broken tab on the battery holder. I took it apart and glued it with some epoxy. 60hrs later, it's still ticking. Batteries seem to last forever. I like the different grade options. The magnets are strong but should be on 1/4"+ material for a good hold. They are reasonably cheap for what you get. I've also used on my dozer blade to cut grades. The only issue I've had is on the older one. If I have the laser within 20' or so and the receiver is pointed directly at it (reading in the center of the bar) it has a hard time picking up the beam. Not a big deal once I knew what was happening. I set up accordingly. I purchased a LR60 late this fall for my ditch work but I'll always have a CR600 in my truck for a back-up. As long as you understand the geometry and issues that can arise with a stick mounted receiver, you'll be fine with a 600. I'd consider mounting it to your bucket.

  3. #3Dickjr.2015-12-27 12:33

    I bought the 600 for septic and footers , its not really good for this application. On a 100' ditch it was up and down 4 " or more. Its hard to beat a good ground man for this. Using it on the dozer it works better for building pads etc.