Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spectra UL633 Universal Laser

CM1995 ยท 2014-01-25 18:49

Does anyone have an experience with the Spectra UL633? I was researching pipe lasers and came across this one. It's an interesting combination of pipe laser, slope laser and standard leveling laser. http://www.spectralasers.com/products/universal-lasers/ul633-universal-laser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IteDJ7YfNVI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gc_olNmtwM The price is not too bad considering the versatility at around $3K with the pipe receiver. This laser is also a slope laser which I have been interesting in buying for a while. My truck is already crammed and having one less plastic box taking up space in the back seat is a nice caveat.

Replies13
  1. #1AT&SW2014-01-27 18:05

    We looked into this laser last year and was very impressed with it for the price. Talked to two people that owned them they had noting bad to say.

  2. #2lumberjack2014-01-27 21:32

    I've got one. Haven't used it for pipe yet, but the Z axis for quite a few things like layout work.

  3. #3JBGASH2014-01-27 23:04

    I think I will buy one, the price is reasonable and it will do most anything. It is about time that they made one for most all applications.

  4. #4lumberjack2014-01-27 23:30

    It's my first laser, about 6 months ago, and that's why I bought it... so I wouldn't wish I had this or that function. I thought about buying a single slope, but the dual slope feature has already came in handy on a small parking lot with a cross slope. The remote control is occasionally saves a lot of walking. I haven't used the spot or plane lock functions yet. I most commonly use the z axis/laser on its side for doing layout out work. The large slope capability lets me set the laser up on a wide range of improv surfaces. My only complaint thus far is a battery complaint. The rechargeable battery died and I've been running alkalines which have a short run time in the low temperatures. Nothing says fun like leaving a job to run to Walmart. I need to see if the rechargeable battery is under warranty and replace it. Run time on it (back in the summer) was great, probably charged it twice a week at its peak use.

  5. #5CM19952014-01-28 06:36

    Thanks for the replies. I am going to look into it a little more. If anyone else has used this laser, please chime in.

  6. #6watglen2014-01-28 07:58

    CM, The UL633 is on sale at a company here in Toronto for about $2600 cdn. You should give them a call, the sale price isn't on the interweb. 416-249-9595 I just bought the GL612 yesterday, also on sale. Here in Ontario, there are only a few large companies in the survey instrument market. Cansel is one of them. Not sure if the warranty would work where you are, but it has a 5 year coverage for normal problems, plus a 1 time drop warranty. The tripod can fall over 1 time and they fix it for free. Good luck. Ken https://www.cansel.ca/en/products/construction/slope-lasers/spectra-precision-ul633-universal-laser

  7. #7CM19952014-01-28 16:44

    Thanks watglen. I found a kit on Ebay for $2800 that includes the laser finder/pipe target, that's the best I have found looking so far.

  8. #8Chad@SitechTR2014-01-29 12:44

    Your laser should still be under warranty if it's less than a year old. You should be able to get the rechargeable battery pack replaced. Where did you purchase it?

  9. #9Chad@SitechTR2014-01-29 12:49

    The only thing about purchasing off of E-bay is lack of service/support. I work for Sitech Tri-Rivers, we are a Trimble/Spectra Precision dealer. We sell the UL633 for around $3,000 and we stand behind the product

  10. #10lumberjack2014-01-29 14:16

    MidTech. You joined the site after I bought, we had a conversation on my laser thread. I try to support forum members, I had forgotten about you. I spent ~$4300 on a large and short tripods, couple grade rods, the full UL633 package, and a CR600.

  11. #11TJ19792014-02-03 07:29

    I would have to agree with Chad, I purchased a Spectra laser from eBay and had a number of problems with it and ended up spending more money because I didn't have any support etc. For a couple hundred $s I'd suggest gonig through a dealer. I've never used a Spectra UL633 Universal Laser but wouldn't want you to have the same problems I had.

  12. #12Illmill2017-01-05 21:59

    I Have one for sale 1000 obo it is used but in great working order if interested contact me thru text or phone 704-968-2369.

  13. #13Illmill2017-01-06 14:47

    I have a used one for sale works great 1000$ obo