Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Splitting Case 480b question

CARobo · 2018-04-11 20:51

I am replacing the dry clutch and pressure plate on a 1975 Case 480b. There are two studs at the top of the transmission. Do both of these need to be backed out to separate the engine from the transmission? I'm certain "stud2" needs to be but am unsure how to accomplish this given the clearance on the engine side is so small. Other than that, splitting the tractor seems to be going well. Service manual is useless. Step 1 is split tractor. Step 2 is remove pressure plate, etc. Lastly, is it recommended to replace the throwout bearing along with the pressure plate/clutch?

Replies8
  1. #1Billrog2018-04-11 21:18

    Don't have an answer for splitting the tractor but I would replace the throw out bearing while I was doing the job.

  2. #2Junkyard2018-04-11 22:10

    Best I can tell one of them appears to be an alignment dowel. It should slide over the stud since you have the nut off of it. Make sure you've got it blocked up solid when you start separating them. If you think everything is loose or out start wiggling and prying and see if you get a gap.

  3. #3CARobo2018-04-11 22:26

    Ok thanks! I'll be sure to block both sides really well before proceeding.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-04-11 22:34

    Depending on how the machine it sitting you may need to block the rear or whatever so it doesn't tip back. Front end should be fine with a block under the back of the motor. The rear of some backhoes likes to tip if the hoe is up. One end or the other will have to move.... Good luck and be safe!

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-04-13 13:57

    There are two studs at the rope of bell housing that also hold the fuel tank bracket. These studs do not have to be removed, just the nuts. Be sure and put the backhoe boom down, the loader arms up, a floor jack under oil pan, a bottle jack under trans just behind bell housing to hold trans and blocks between front radiator bolster and front axle on both sides to keep engine from tilting. You may have to play with the tension on jacks to get level just right so engine will roll away easily.

  6. #6Funny farm2018-04-23 21:33

    Just split my old ck almost exactly as coy said. Worked great. Had to heat the nuts at the front of the loader frame and nose piece as they were really tight. Def block the rear of the machine well. When I removed the nuts u are talking about the studs came out also but I can’t see why u would need to have them out. I decided to place the front end back on the loader arms after removing the engine as the tractor will be sitting a few weeks till the replacement engine is ready to install.

  7. #7Vetech632018-04-24 06:42

    Looks good! Picked a nice day to tackle that too.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2018-04-24 10:51

    I'm glad I could help out, one other thing though there are two bolts one on either side that are dowl bolts just remember where they go.