Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Splitting engine from transmission on Case W20C 1985 Model

Gerd ยท 2011-12-03 10:08

I am trying to remove the engine (A504BD) from a 1985 Model Case W20C wheel loader. We have taken out the bolts between the torque converter and the engine, but are not able to move the engine backwards and out. What are we doing wrong? Do we have to split it between the transmission and the torque converter? What is the procedure? Please help

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2011-12-03 16:15

    Not sure what bolts you are describing here, outside around the housing or inside around the flywheel/flexplate. Parts book shows a flexplate - if you haven't pulled these bolts they will need to be removed. Look for a rectagular shaped plate on the bellhousing for access to them.

  2. #2Gerd2011-12-03 16:36

    Yes, on the outside. What is a flexplate and where will I find it? If I find it, which bolts do I have to loosen? I have ordered a service manual, but probably have to wait couple of weeks to receive it. In the meantime I need the machine to do work here.I will try your suggestion tomorrow

  3. #3JimInOz2011-12-03 18:25

    Diffs Looking to buy a European GKN diff from a W20C Loader. PM me if you have something... Jim

  4. #4willie592011-12-03 20:15

    Gerd, it sounds like you've removed the bolts that connect flywheel housing to the rear of engine. Like alrman stated, you have to remove the flex plate bolts. The flex plate is a stack of plates (items 3 and 4 in illustration above) that connect flywheel to torque convertor. You have to remove the flex plate bolts (items 35 and 36 in red circle above) that bolt flex plate to flywheel. As alrman said, there should be an access plate at rear of engine on front of flywheel housing that gives you access to the bolts. Once you remove the 8 flex plate bolts the engine will separate from flywheel housing leaving flex plate and convertor in place.

  5. #5oldseabee2011-12-03 23:03

    you will have to rotate the engine by hand to get at each bolt through the access hole. If the engine is locked up, it gets pretty hairy, you may have to pull the whole assy. and disassemble the engine so you can turn the fly wheel.

  6. #6Gerd2011-12-04 03:58

    You people saved my day! It was so easy to remove the engine. Bearings were seized, but we took out the pistons and loosened the main bearing. This way we were able to turn over the crankshaft. The 8 bolts, that you mentioned, were removed and out came the engine. thanks!

  7. #7Gerd2011-12-04 09:32

    Now that I have stripped the engine I will need 2 STD pistons, 6 sets of STD rings, 2 liners (sleeves) for the Case W20C (engine A504BD). Any offers, especially in the Southern African regions are welcome

  8. #8wsw2011-12-18 09:23

    YOU BEST BUY CYLINDER KITS FOR THAT ENGINE , YOU ALSO BETTER REMOVE THE LINERS TO RESEAL THEM IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO REPLACE THEM. yOU SPUN MAINS YOU STATED, WATCH WHEN LINBORING THE BLOCK OR YOU WILL REMOVE THE BACKLASH FROM THE GEARTRAIN IF YOU GO TO FAR