Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spot lights or flood lights for 580K?

nilzlofgren ยท 2014-01-21 22:08

I want to upgrade the lights on my 580K. I found a nice set of LED's. I'm not sure if I should go with floods, spots, or both. I have 4 lights in the front, and 4 in the back. Any thoughts? Thanks. John.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2014-01-21 23:09

    Floods are what's on all my machines. I put HID H-3 lamps in a few ABL flood housings. Trick is to find a suitable place for the ballast. 2 $25 lamp housings plus $50 HID kit = BRIGHT. $50 a lamp, or $25 a lamp if you already have the housings.

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-01-21 23:19

    Still running factory lights, two spots and two floods front and rear. Have not changed up any yet to led's still with oem lights for now. I like distance and area when at night working when needed.

  3. #3fishfighter2014-01-22 06:06

    Google Coastal night lights. They make some great LED lights that are for boats. Spot and flood lights. I used them on a couple boats that I was very happy with. They are a complete unit that runs off 12volts and pull little to no power.

  4. #4nilzlofgren2014-01-22 19:46

    Thanks for the great info guys. Sheepfoot, do you have your spots on the corners, or your floods?

  5. #5frogfarmer2014-01-23 14:08

    All of my lights are 50W floods and adjust left right up and down. I try not to run the machine in the dark but the floods have always worked well.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2014-01-26 15:19

    I would stick with all floods in the rear, as you will always be digging within their range. For the front I would do 2 spots in the center and 2 floods on the outside. When travelling forward, you need the distance view to know where to go, and the flood to light up where you are working.