Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spreading Maine Clay with 1959 D9

Maine HD6B Dude ยท 2011-09-28 07:54

[video]YouTube-swinnism[/video]

Replies13
  1. #1ACcrazy2011-09-28 09:39

    Your link won't work for me.

  2. #2250c2011-09-28 16:03

    I grew up in Houlton Maine. I remember Maine clay as the stuff that came just after the snow melted and before blackfly season. Just pulling your chain lol. Link didn't work for me either.

  3. #3Maine HD6B Dude2011-09-29 15:14

    I am not familiar with Youtube, so try searching for 131 1959 D9 Spreading Maine Clay. I still believe it is under account Swinnism.

  4. #4bigbob2011-09-29 16:47

    Try this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYry81GYkHY Looks more like glacial silt than clay. True clay has to have 90+% passing the #200 sieve, hard to find with our relatively young soils in Northern New England. We call it clay also, but a soils guy will correct you.

  5. #5Dickjr.2011-09-29 21:04

    Good sounding old machine

  6. #6ACcrazy2011-09-29 22:22

    Definately a good sounding Cat. She ain't real pretty though. lol

  7. #7carlsharp2011-09-30 00:48

    Nice old 9! Anyone know the source of that blue paint? I have seen lots of old equipment in pics and vids that have it on them. Seems like more then coincidence that there are so many....

  8. #8norite2011-09-30 23:40

    I always liked the sound of those cat turbocharged diesels when they start to pick up load.

  9. #9Maine HD6B Dude2011-10-01 19:46

    HELLO, The D9 had been sitting idle for a few years and after a little pony engine repair, it is up and running. Paint will come in the near future. Thanks, Mike

  10. #10trucker12011-10-01 20:00

    Any chance that blue paint is "Cianbro Blue" local company based here in Maine, works all up and down the east coast, paint just about everything they own Blue and Battleship Grey. George

  11. #11Maine HD6B Dude2011-10-02 09:10

    Hello Trucker1, Yes the D9 is an old Cianbro machine. Mike

  12. #12Maine HD6B Dude2011-10-02 09:12

    Good Day, The paint scheme is from the Cianbro Company which originated from Maine and spread down the East Coast. Mike

  13. #131970Cat162011-10-10 08:39

    Gees, I have owned a cat d918a which this apears to be, the CCU is incorrectly adjusted, the screaming you here is the operator engaging the clutch to hold the brake up becuase the cable control unit is not adjusted correctly or the brake band is worn out, the tractor sounds bad to me like bad fuel or low compression as well, look at the smoke coming out when he clutches it, black like it needs air cleaner and or injector work, this tractor should be running dirt over the top of the dozer easily, wish I owned it, would not let it work like this and look like this as well!!!!lol Bad owner and bad catskinner for sure, bet it has not been correctly sercived in years, poor old 18a!!!!