I haul alot of heavy equipment for my job, and we use both the ratchet binders and the constant tension spring ratchet binders. I avoid the spring ratchet binders whenever possible because I've seen them fail on multiple occasions. However, my leadership insists they're used when securing rubber tired equipment to keep tension when the equipment bounces. Though recently I was told by a co-worker and fellow equipment hauler that the spring binders were banned by Federal DOT because they fail so easily. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, where can I find the regulations so I can pass it onto my leadership?
I have honestly never seen one in person, always either use a ratchet binder or a over center chain binder. Try not to use the over center binders much as I can because they are a pain to use!
I use ratchet binders. If rubber tired equipment is bouncing enough for the binders or chains to come unhooked you either didn't tighten the binders enough or your driving too damn fast over rough roads.
Ive never seen one being used, and I'd personally never use one. I use the ratchet binders on ridgid loads,(pipe, CTL, etc.) And chain boomers for anything with give in it...like something with tires on it. I can get the boomers pulled down so tight it takes all the give or bounce out of it. I'm not sure about the DOT stuff but that wouldn't surprise me, ive never seen a semi or hotshotters with the spring loaded ones.
When I am hauling something with wheels I just crank the ratchet binders down till they don't move, a 4 tired machine you'll have a binder on each corner anyway, crank them in tight and you should be fine.
I googled it. Just looking through fast looks like they're not banned, but the rule for placement, and how many tie-downs to have tying something down during transport might have changed. I also found the rule book for a reasonable price. It might be worth having for the price