Well the last few years it seems to be almost every other spring that we get a flood, it's getting to the point where people are getting used to it. lol It still baffles the mind of many people why any body would build a walk out basement on a river known for its flooding and why two levels of government keep bailing out (financially) people who chose not to protect themselves from being flooded out. However aside from ranting about human stupidity my fiancee and I toured some of the flood zone and came across a little town south of the city where a Cat 345DL was loading Cat 740 rock trucks with clay in a borrow pit on the edge of town.The trucks drove down the main drag and in behind some houses on the river where a Cat D6R and a Cat 324DL were building an emergency dike. Well we managed to make some videos of this and from the weekend before, when the river wasn't so high and they were able to dig a borrow pit closer in to the river. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4SMuCqTQ7g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdI8U5yIlQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvzUuzYALm8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERH4l1q2M8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRlZeQ1Iak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBpyccGTpQ
I hate to see a rock truck have to back in that far to get loaded... but that's the name of the game in wet sticky soft clay i suppose... I have fond memories of straddling 2 foot deep ruts with the hammer down in reverse and all diffs fully locked while aiming for the hoe bucket (or tracks) in my mirrors... sliding into those ruts... son of a...
X2 and I feel for the dozer hand working those 5' clay balls he is loading into those trucks. I don't know why some hoe operators think the only way to fill the bucket is to gouge the dirt out of the ground.
Yeah I've done that more than a few times and lots of fun doing it during the spring thaw working on basement excavations.