Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spun Cam Bearing Case 580

CasIns ยท 2012-05-23 20:42

I was changing the oil on my 72 580B and noticed a piece of metal too big to fit through the drain. I pulled the pan and found the metal is the remains of a cam bearing. Before this, the engine seemed to be running fine. Is it worth properly fixing this, or should I just run it as is? Other than this, the machine has brake problems, and the backhoe is not in working order. Any suggestions besides pulling the engine?

Replies5
  1. #1willie592012-05-23 23:49

    If, in fact, it's the remains of a cam bearing, you'll only do more expensive damage (to block) if you continue to run engine.

  2. #2Bill Smith2012-05-24 06:46

    I would not run the machine eather . But it also depends on what your intensions are for it .A b series is getin old and if it is just for recreational use it will be expensive to repair , and as old as it is you say the hoe dosn't work . You realy need to have some mechanical skills to keep these old girls a movin Regards Bill

  3. #3packratc2012-05-24 16:43

    Just for curiosity sake, did the hoe have engine oil pressure? Was it making any strange noises from the engine? Not that I know much, but you can part out the engine parts, even the block if not damaged (probably can be repaired if it is). Obviosly the rest of the machine can part out and then scrap out. Sounds like you don't need a backhoe but probably a snow plow. Many of us would like a shot at some parts. Good luck to you, Packratc

  4. #4CasIns2012-05-24 21:59

    I recently bought the machine because I need something to do site work. I was planning to fix the backhoe attachment, but the more I go through the machine the more problems I seem to find. On the plus side, the shuttle shift, front bucket, and hydraulics seem pretty good. The engine had very good oil pressure, around 60 psi (its a diesel), but who knows if the guy who sold it put in an additive to keep the pressure up. I think I'm going to pull the engine and go all the way. Hopefully I won't need a new camshaft, and it would be really nice if I don't have to rebore the block or find any other problems. Looks like this is going to be a big project. How hard is it to find a replacement cam, or worst case scenario, a new block?

  5. #5dwloop2012-05-24 22:36

    CasIns, No boring the block, it is a wet sleeve engine. If you pulled the pan can you see the cam bosses? Are the bearings visible? The front cam bearing is the only one that is pressure fed on the 188, the back three are 'drip oiled', so the oil pressure will not be affected by back bearing issues like on a normal automotive engine we are all used to. Lots of parts on ebay for these, heads, cams etc. Still quite a few left in salvage yards as well. If you find a good 207 diesel (the G188's big brother), it will fit right in as well.... I have 'B' as well, and as someone mentioned earlier it is good to have some mechanical knowledge to keep them in running order and not spend the bank out. We enjoy it though! :drinkup Edit: If you are contemplating doing serious work on this, do yourself and us a favor and get a real service manual. These are not always 'obvious' to get back together... And several changes in design over the years that must be followed. HTH Dave