I'm looking at purchasing a new case SR200 and looking for advise if this is a good unit or not? I've looked at other brands and models and the horse power, radial lift and price of the case is today the best deal. The dealer has dealt me more than fair in the past and we have a great relationship. I like the idea of two year 2000 hour warranty as the machine will more than likely time out before the hours are used up. I've read through most of the forums and as usual you get the "my ford is the best, no it's Chevy or nothing, dodge eats all others" attitudes. But what I'm asking for is does Case still build a good skid steer? Any comments and or history would be appreciated. Thanks
I have been looking at purchasing a CASE 210 which is the newest version of the size class. CASE builds a great machine. I have owned a lot of them, my latest are a 2012 TR320 and an 07 465.
Thanks for the input, sometimes getting others opinions help ease the mind when parting with a lot of money. If others have good reviews and experiences it gives you piece mind. The SR210 is the newest version of that size? I don't think that they made many changes that I can see. My dealer says that the unit I'm looking at is built in oct of 2013, and it's still classed as a 2014 model. Does that make sense even with the soon arrivals of the 210 models. The dealer hasn't ordered any as of yet I was told, and I need one in the couple of weeks.
I believe the biggest difference is the Tier 4 final engine and it appears a slight increase in ROC. Have you run one of 200 machines yet? I ran one in 2011. The machine I priced is fully loaded minus High Flow. I need something smaller and more nimble than what I currently have. I not run a 210 yet. I am sure they will have one at Conexpo next month. I was surprised at what they cost (in a negative way).
I've sat in one, but the week after next I will be demoing a the new unit. I'll keep you posted.
The Tier 4F machines from everyone have gone up quite a bit. Deere's E series is ridiculously high priced. Not sure how much the Bobcat's with the Doosan went up, might not have gone up much due to saving money with an in house motor. Drove the demand and price for the Kubota ones up though. Haven't seen the prices on the D series Cat's either.
It is stupid expensive (like mid $40K).
The SR 200 is priced in the mid $40,000. So if what you say about the 210 we be in the higher 40's with a full load of accessories.
My price is mid 40K for the new one.
Ouch. Got a price on D series Cat's today, about a 10-15% jump.
From the first part of January to now we've seen a $1,500 dollar increase do to the higher US dollar. Compound that with the fact that somebody is paying the extra freight (the new buyer) from the factory to our dealer in another country the prices are bound to be higher in western Canada.
maybe this is not the best place to post this... but i am writing a review on the loaded loaner case sv185 with mechanical hand controls they brought to the farm. it is basically new with a hundred or so hours on it, i know the people who owned it and they pretty much did nothing but drive around the yard with it. the good. side lighting. looks pretty cool sitting in the yard. reasonably rugged for demo projects and such. warm cab. the bad. (keep in mind I'm used to the j c b) poor visibility toward the front, and the front corners. mediocre visibility out the back and sides. very sloppy boom especially when prying on the corner of the bucket, and when the bucket is tilted back all the way. poor fit and finish. hard entry and exit. windows that are difficult to open and close. mediocre engine power and hydraulic power. can't do much of anything in high range. controls work hard. fairly jumpy and erratic hydros. loud cab with lots of hydro noise. squeaky hand controls. sharp part of drive controls hits my knees. my leg rubs against the cab raising mechanism. lots of rattles, funny noises, vibrations, etc. buttons that are very difficult to use with gloves on your hands. for some reason the left wheels always wanna do more than the right wheels. the seat is not the greatest. service does not appear to be very convenient. bucket has to be curled for the quick tach to work.
"Ohh Boy Dave !!! " ……. I'm going to be standing by and watch the "Fire-Works over these comments you've made here ……… All I can add to this is the items you describe here "DO NOT" sound like you are describing a CASE SV185 (at least not a new one anyways) …… I'M sure KSSS will chime in on this one pretty quickly ….. My Buddy just took delivery of a brand new SR175 last month (most major difference between them, SV185/SR175 being Vertical Lift vs Radius Lift)….. even tho I'm a Bcat owner, when I jumped in and ran the SR175 almost everything you said is TOTALLY a False review of the machine I tried out …… There were NO squeaks and rattles, The windows Opened way to easy, Probably one of the quietest machines I've ever ran (and under-load), the Hydraulics were very responsive (almost too responsive, BUT can and will be fine tuned as per owner preference), NO Pump noise, almost silent, Cab was very Roomy (@6'1 & 235+lbs) Easily entered/exited, Comfy Cab, Good Ergonomics of controls & buttons (Why would you wear Dirty Gloves in a Heated/Air Conditioned Cab ???) fit and finish was Pretty Good no tacky after thought looks (just different from what I'm used to), Very Smooth even with it chained up all 4 wheels, Visibility Not too bad out the back and rear side corners (considering it is a Frigg'n Skid-steer) and forward was great vision, Boom & Bucket was Very Tight no twisting at all, as far as that goes it feels more like my Way Large Bobcat for structural strength of the lifting mechanisms again considering it is almost 1/2 the size of mine, Service ability is not Bad at all for ALL Vitals (Battery, oils, filters, Rad, belts, Hyd oil, Changing oil Etc.) ….. Engine and Hyd Power was Better than I woulda thought, we pushed 2' hard packed Snow w/8'6 Blade w/box-blade wings in High gear no problem, Fuel consumption was ~4-5 litres/hr under load on a 9hr plowing shift @ -22*C/-8*F (not Bad for a Brand-new machine I thought) …… Hyd Quick attach works any position Nope Nope Nope, I'm SORRY BUT we wouldn't Base our Final thoughts of buying a Machine for "What Work We Do", on ANY review You've posted ….. MY Buddy and I are Veteran Operators of 25+yrs on Skids (about the time the first fully Hyd machines came around, no clutches) and way more than 30+yrs on Excavators and Logging Equipment of ALL Sorts ….. Probably Why WE would Never Own one of those Lobsided Mono-boom JCB machines (if you want to talk about twisting Booms …. DON'T Go There Please ! ) …….. Everything/machine Has It's Place ! …. I guess that's why we've Never seen a JCB Skid "EVER" in our part of B.C. or any part of B.C. as far as that goes !
The Vertical Lift CNH machines do have a lot of slop in the boom IMO. Always have. They were what we always ran and we were just used to it. The cab noise seems hit or miss. Ours was extremely loud. Our L220 would not turn at a standstill in high range. We spend a lot of our day just sitting in high range so having to shift all the time sucked. The cab latch got in the way but was minor I guess. Fuse cover will make you shoot yourself though. As always, everything has its advantage.
I've never noticed a problem with the cab latch on my NH L220, but I ABSOLUTELY agree that the fuse cover is an awful design in an awful location. I solved some of the problem by grinding the leading plastic edge so the cover fits easily, & I replaced those ridiculous thumb screws (there was no room to get your thumbs on them anyway) with oval-head Philips machine screws thru finishing washers.
First of all I am by no means a skid steer operator but I do get to move quite a few of them around since I am a lowboy driver. I move machines for our local Case and Volvo dealers. I have moved many Case and Volvo skids and I can tell You that from my experience with both brands I would take the Case over the Volvo any day. The Case is much more comfortable, it is more stable and the cab is a whole lot quieter and laid out much better and I find that it is fairly easy to get in and out of the cab. No worse than any other skid steer. The Volvo has very awkward feeling in the cab, unstable when loading and unloading, and honestly getting in and out of it is not all that easy even though you would think it would be with the side door. What makes getting in and out so hard is that the wheel well for the front tire is in the way and there is not enough room to raise your feet up and over it plus the door is in the way since it does not swing open far enough btw I am 6'1" and weigh 240 pounds. I also have noticed that the vibrations in the cab are horrible. The other day I was driving one to my lowboy to load it and I had to slow down because the vibrations in the cab were hurting my ears and I was not traveling all that fast with it to start off with. I have also seen where the side of the cab has had the paint worn off of it from the arm rubbing on it. The Volvo I moved last week was basically a brand new machine. It had 17 hours on it. It had been delivered brand new to the company that bought the week before. The machine was already back at the dealer to get the hydrostatic pump replaced. I am not sure what was wrong with the pump, but I do know the machine would not move. I have never had to move a broke down Case skid yet. Everyone I have talked to say they really like the machine. I was at a municipality yesterday and I was talking to them about their SR200 I think it was. It had a brush cutting attachment on it. He said they have had no problems with it at all. He said it had plenty of power and that they really like the machine.
Thanks for insight on the volvo. I was seriously contemplating the volvo MC110C or the MC115C but the prices quoted $$$$$... Way to much. The same dealer that I've been with for the last three years has both lines, so I looked into the Case. I've had really good service with them and would like to continue the relationship. I've looked at the NH but it was more money with less options.
I remember the mod you did to the fuse cover, looked like a lot nicer setup. Cab latch is minor, if only they could flip it the right way.
I would say Dave it is just best you stay in your JCB.
the other thing i noticed is the rough shift from high to low, and the stalling if your turning and shifting. the absence of the integrated rear view mirror is really a pain as well. it will be a good day when they bring the j c b back. i would definitely buy a cat or a bobcat before the case for sure. the neighbor drove it and agreed it was hard to get in and out of and front visibility is bad.
Dealer dropped off the sr200 yesterday late eve. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm hoping this weekend to put on a few hours with some snow removal. The one concern I had with the controls, been a fairly large man is that the EH controls would interfere with the thigh room but after adjusting the control arms it feels good. Keep you posted.
C,C2 and D series Cat's all have a very rough shift to high speed. CNH has good egress other than the stupid little window. If they ditched that it would be very good. I don't like the backwards door but thats minor. What happened to JCB? A lot of companies make the seat a little tight with Eh controls. Cat is pretty bad, I'm not big at all but there isn't much extra room between the pods in the EH machines.
Moved snow for about 2 hours after adjusting the air ride seat & EH control arms and it feels good. Lots of room, I don't feel cramped but that's only after a couple of hours. Found the hydraulics smooth and fast enough for now, once I get more seat hours I'll readjust the settings for ground speed and hydraulics. I will be purchasing a backup camera to save the neck and to add better rear visibility if I purchase. So far I'm quite happy with the machine, I think I'll be buying it.
Hi guys...new to this site..I tried some different forum sites looking for people who have tried the Case SR/SV models with no avail. KSSS and popsiclepete, How do you like them? I rented an SR220 for the one big snow storm we had a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with the power and the machine. I had an 8' protech pusher on it with snow coming up over the box and it handled it like a breeze! I was also impressed with how long it last on fuel before needing refilled. I was in it for about 14hrs that storm and felt fine. It was a loaded machine and those air ride seats are pretty amazing. Mind you, I'm coming from an NH LS180 so all these newer machines are a step for me. I am thinking about trading mine in for that, but was really wondering about any issues with them. Some have said that the machines are a little too sensitive or herky jerky...the other thing that someone said that as far as when lifting, the hydraulics seem slow. I don't run these machines everyday and basically use them for snow removal and when I need to move some heavy crates on our job sites...Our company rents alot of aerial lifts for our jobs and the place we rent them from is a bobcat dealer also...They are trying to steer me into a bobcat, especially since the case rep is one of there old sales guys..So needless to say, I'm getting pulled in two directions here. So ANY helpful advice on the Case's would be great!! I really did like the Case, I just want the opinions from guys who have them verses sales guys....
This would be my first new skid steer if I go ahead and purchase it. Years ago I owned an older Bobcat 18hp gas job, can't remember the model, boy have these machines changed. I originally was looking at Volvo or JCB for the side entry cab but the price moved me away. I've dealt with the local Case Contruction Equipment dealer for the last couple of years and have nothing but great service, so it made my future purchase of the SR200 even easier. The 2 year 2000 hr warranty was also appealing as I now I won't be houring out the machine so the extra year warranty ment a lot in the disission to go with the case. My only major concern was the cab size and EH control position but after spending a few minutes and adjusting the control arms and playing with for hours moving snow yesterday I'm quite comfortable in the cab. As for the "herky jerky" side of things you can adjust the drive & hydraulics speed to match the operator level. It's not something that real easy to program but after a few minutes with the manual on your lap you can get it done. A good friend of mine has a skid steer business and almost all available attachments made and has run Bobcat for years and he was over on Saturday to critic the Case and the only questionable things he could pick out was the oposite hinged door making it nessasery to crawl over/under the hydraulics for the attachments and the self levelling boom only works in the raise motion not the lowering. In a nut shell after looking at NH, JCB, Volvo and Case I found Case was going to give me an equal or better machine with a reputable dealer that I can trust and I know will look after me. Hopefully this will help you in making your decision, the steel is easily made but when your buying new the dealer can make the difference between a lemon and a prize.
Interesting, Bobcat doesn't have dual self leveling. Unless something changed but their site still states it only works on the lift cycle. It's not really that common, Cat offers it on the D series now and when I ran one it actually messed with my head a lot because I was so used to having to manually level the bucket/forks when coming down.
My take on Case The one thing I know you have to check on before buying a CASE is if it has a DPF. I guess some of the models do, some don't. I really don't understand that, but not all of the engines are the same technology. As far as the SR200 and the SR 210. I got the chance to demo a 210 a couple weeks ago and it seemed like nothing changed between that and the 200. I think they redisgned the handles a little bit, but other than that, close to nothing. The 210 did NOT have a DPF, which I find beneficial. I am among those who would prefer, if available, to go with a model without DPF rather than one with one. As far as how the demo went. I have never been a huge fan of Case other than the price. Somehow you can find good Case deals now a days. If you have a Titan dealer in your area, they seem to be cheaper than others.
According to Case's website the 210 does have a DPF. http://www.casece.com/en_us/News/Pages/New-Tier-4-Final-SR210-Skid-Steer.aspx The reason it seems like the emissions systems are different is due to SSL/CTLs falling into three different emissions brackets. For Tier 4 there is 25-50hp, 50-75hp,75-175hp. And obviouslt higher ranges but those don't concern SSLs. You will notice that a lot of SSL's have 74hp in fact every D series Cat except for the 299 and 272 has 73hp regardless of the model. Bobcat is one of the few meeting the 50-75hp regs without a DPF. I don't pay attention to all of the other OEM's so I don't know exactly what they are all doing. IIRC Perkins may have a non DPF solution as well. Cat is using a DPF on their 50-75hp Tier 4 Final machines which all use the same 73hp Kubota. The smaller ones I do not believe are compliant yet and are still running the Perkins. The larger models use a larger Kubota with a DPF as well but only meet Tier 4 Interim. For Tier4F they will be adding SCR. CNH will also be using SCR on their larger models AFAIK to meet Tier 4F. Bobcat also said they will likely use SCR to meet Tier 4F. DPF is not the end of the world if you have an active regeneration system, the Case currently does not. Skid steers are usually run under a load and dont idle much though so it shouldn't be the end of the world to not have an active system.
I am at ConExpo and spent a good deal of time at the CASE booth looking over the 210. I like it. Temped to buy one.
Ask 'em if they have an upgraded set of speakers for the radio in my TR...mine suck! To the OP. I'm still getting used to the door setup after coming out of a Kubota flip-up door. The door on the CASE sure does seal better though. I spread some very powdery road base the other day and the powder was stacked on the outside of the window ledge, but nothing inside.
those jensen radios do suck.
Hmmm... I will talk to them. I am going out to ConExpo tomorrow. The guy told me it didn't have a DPF. The article doesn't directly say DPF, but it does say it has a DOC and a "filter". I wonder if that is a DPF. The rental guy said it didn't have one and I didn't see one, but I will check on that. Yeah, DPF isn't the end of the world for skid steers, but if I can do without having an extra filter to change or regeneration, I will. That's why I liked what I heard out of that rental guy...now I just have to confirm. I'll be stopping by the Bobcat booth too to see their stuff.
I know the fix for the speaker problem. When they blasted the cab to prep it for paint some of the bb's used to blast were not removed and they cling to the magnet on the back of the speakers.
thanks for the help guys. Pop, I had looked at the JCB's also because I thought that side arm design would resemble that of more a pettibone style, but like you, after I saw their prices, that left them out. And reading about the twisting on here, forget it. Ok, so can someone tell me what the DPF is? When I was using that SR220, i heard the beeping noise and saw that flashing on the panel..I had called the sales guy and asked him about it. He told me to not shut off the machine, let it keep running, and it would eventually stop, which it did. So what in the world is it and its purpose? I do see now what your friend meant about the auxilaries being mounted where they are and the door hinge being on the opposite side..To me though, that's a minor thing. I care more about how good the engine is and all the other things verses that. I also have a good Case dealer around here and they have been great with talking to me so far with information and things, so I'm not so worried about that either...Can you really tell a difference with the self leveling? I'm not even sure I noticed it, but like I said, I don't run these everyday. What about the ride control feature? I didn't get a chance to use it, so wondering if you did. I'd love to buy a brand new machine, but that's just not in the budget for me. I had seen a price on a used one online in the midwest, fully loaded, 2012 with 1345 hours for around $27,500...The sales guy told me that is about right for my area as well. Curious to see what everyone thinks about that price. By the way, KSSS checked out the link you have on here. You have a really nice business. Gave me some great ideas to do in my area.
Now THAT is good to know!
Interesting. I had to run ours on level 30 to overcome the hydraulic noise and at that level they sounded peaked out. The OEM's created the confusion so now they have to deal with the consequences. Case is at it again trying to use wording to make it sound different. Here is the spec sheet which clearly states DPF. http://www.casece.com/en_us/Gallery/Downloads/SSL_SR210/CCE201308SR210_d1.pdf Here is the brochure that is probably causing a lot of the confusion because they are making the SR210 sound like it does not have a DPF and is maintenance free. In a way its maintenance free because it doesn't require DEF, it also has no DEF filters. The other models they list only use a DOC which is also targets PM but does is through a chemical reaction versus an actual filter like a DPF. http://www.casece.com/en_us/Gallery/Downloads/SSL_SR210/CCE201401SSL-CTL_d12.pdf Here is the press release that explains it. http://www.casece.com/en_us/News/Pages/New-Tier-4-Final-SR210-Skid-Steer.aspx They keep calling it a PM catalyst. The fact they list DPF and DOC in the brochure when a machine has one makes me think maybe this thing is a little different. However everything they describe points to DPF. The flow through part doesn't make much sense though. It cant trap and hold ash if its wide open but if a DPF is considered flow through then anything can be as long as air can move through it. If you have every seen a Donaldson powercore filter that is somewhat what a DPF is like. A lot of long channels that are capped on the ends and forces the exhaust to go through the wall of the channel. This filters out the particulate matter. Contrary to what many seem to believe, a regen does not burn off the particulate matter and put it in the air. It simply cleans the filter of anything other than the bad ash it is designed to keep inside it and condenses the ash to the smallest mass possible. A point will come when it will be full of ash and need to be cleaned. Truck shops do this for $200-300. The service life of a DPF is pretty long, I wouldn't get too worked up. Not many are rating them for less than 4,000hrs but time will tell. The DPF on them does not just jump out at you. CNH mounts theirs between the cab and engine, you can see the one on the larger CTL in the Case brochure with the cab flipped. You wouldn't easily notice the DPF on the new Cat either Unless you were really looking for it.
I was quite happy when the dealer dropped off the demo, that it was explained to me this model SR 200 was ordered with the tier 3 engine, they still had the option to order from the factory the SR200 with a tier 3 engine. The build date/delivery date of this unit is October 2013. They tell me it a 2014 model and the bill of sale shows 2014. I've have a 5 ton truck that uses DEF fluid and have had and still are having issues with it. So needless to say I am quite happy that it's show up with a tier 3 engine.
The way I read it all SR200's are Tier 3 and the SR210 will replace it for Tier4F. In that size if you would've gotten a Tier 4F machine it would not have SCR/DEF on it either. IMO from dealing with a lot of the systems on our larger stuff, the SCR issues are minimal and don't bug me near as much as when they just had a DPF and EGR. Those were nightmares at times.
The DEF does not show up until you are over 75 Hp in Tier 4F. Ride Control is an excellent feature. The loader arms act as shock absorbers. Makes two speed a lot more useable. I liked the 210. I like the idea of using a Cat as opposed to a Filter (assuming you have to have it at all). I would say that is a fair price for loaded machine with 1300 hours. My brother has a 220. I like running. It specs much like the old 440.
See this is what I don't understand, if it was a catalyst(CAT) then it would most likely be a Diesel oxidation catalyst, there are a couple other catlysts out there with their intended purposes but for reducing particulate emissions people turn to the DOC's. Case clearly labels the machines they use a DOC on so I figure the 210 must have something different. However they say its not a filter. SO what is it? A Flux Capacitor? A Turbo Encabulator?
KSSS, thanks for the input....You seem to be the "one" to talk to when it comes to the Cases...I appreciate the input from you and the validation on that machine. So let me ask you this, what made you decide to go with the Case over some of the other machines? Right now, I've narrowed it down to the 220 and whatever my buddy/sales guy who deals with bobcats wants me to look at. I really did like that 220, but others are trying to steer me into a bobcat, whichever is comparable to it..Just wanted your opinion....i was also going to check out an SV250 as well. For me, I need a bigger frame machine for the lifting capacity, but I am kind of torn between the radial vs vertical lifting. What's your opinion on it?
As to the CASE decision, I have owned a lot of them and I like the performance I get. I also like the resale when I rotate them out. I usually demo at least one other machine before I buy a new skid steer or CTL (lately that has been CAT since BC has had dealer issues here). I have not run anything that has changed my mind. That does not mean the CASE skid steer is head and shoulders above anything else. I think perhaps in certain applications it may be less desirable than some others, but for what I do, I am happy with the overall package that CASE provides. I would demo the BC and the CASE and see which one performs better doing the type of work you anticipate doing. It is better to have them both on the same work site at the same time if possible. The 220 CASE will have better bucket breakout and higher engine torque levels than does the BC. I prefer the BC information center better than the CASE version which is not very intuitive. As to radial verse vertical, I think the old rule of thumb that says if you spend most of your time working the bucket from ground level to top of cab than the radial is likely the best choice, if spend most of your time from eye level in the cab to full height than the vertical is likely the best choice. The lift height on the radial CASE machines is really rather good. The issue is, as the radial gets close to the top of its lift path, the reach (distance from cab to the truck) is reduced. After the demo, let us know what you decided and what helped make your decision.
KSSS, I agree with you there. Most of the machines these days are all pretty similar from what I've seen, just a few differences here and there. I'm glad to hear all of your positive thoughts on the Cases and your experiences with them. I have a 2001 NH LS180 currently, and since it is CNH now, that is why I started looking at the Cases. I had tried out SR220 with the one big storm we had in Feb here, and I really was impressed with it and the power, but snow removal is just one aspect of what I would use the machine for. I like that saying as far as radial vs vertical lift. It will definitely help me out there. I'm not loading dump trucks with dirt, but more lifting some heavy crates off of flat beds amongst other things, so it looks like a radial would be a better fit for me. The only deterrent I have with it is when piling up snow, you are right about the reach. I'll also take your advice in trying out another machine to compare as well. One other quick question, initially, when I started looking, I had found the 440,450,465's...I noticed you have 465's, those are vertical lift machines, correct? It seems like that machine can pretty much do anything you need it to..I'm assuming that the Sv300 is the newer machine of that version? After trying the 220, I'm curious about trying an SV250, especially for the ROC on it.. Thanks for all your comments. It's guys like you and others on here offering their personal experience (verses dealing with a sales guy telling you that you that their machine is better) which really helps me out with making these type of decisions.
I have had several 95XT's and currently have a 465. The lift capacity combined with the 4.5L engine make it a real beast. The SV300 is the current equivalent, but there is a lot more steel in the 465 than in the 300. I have had a 440 as well. Great machine, the compact size combined with the same power plant as the 465 make it a real unique skid steer. Hard to find another machine with as much power in the same size footprint. I have spent more time in the radial machines than in the vertical lift (Alpha series). It would not hurt to try an SV250 and see what you think. Remember you can add another 150-200 pounds of additional ballast if you need to increase the ROC but cant justify the next bigger machine.
Sounds good...I asked because I know the dealer around here had I think a 440, know of some 450's and the 465, plus the newer sr220 and sv250...Like you were saying, I'll check them all out and see what I think. I know the one reason I was initially steering away from the sv250 was the weight of it for towing purposes...I only have a 10,000lb trailer, so I'll look into all of them.