Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SSL trencher attachment vs ditch witch trencher

davejo ยท 2019-11-07 15:58

What is living with a SSL trencher attachment like compared to an actual ride on ditch witch trencher. I'm beginning to dislike SSL attachments in general due to the hassles of exiting the machine as I work projects solo. Seems like used examples of both can be had for 2500-3000 bucks. Rentals of both are available, too. I work whenever I get a chance but not on a set schedule and we're talking 1800 feet of waterline buried 30 inches

Replies4
  1. #1ianjoub2019-11-07 18:02

    All SSL attachments are a compromise. How many power heads do you want to keep running?

  2. #2Tags2019-11-07 18:45

    I would think a dedicated trencher will always work better than an attachment, but I think with a trencher, production really depends upon your soil conditions. I've never used a trencher attachment on a skid steer, looks like a great idea, but with the amount of rock and hard pan in my area I imagine it's just going to self destruct....

  3. #3davejo2019-11-07 19:02

    I guess I should have stated that I'm also under the assumption that a trencher would be less destructive to the pasture than my backhoe. I have very limited backhoe experience so far and I want to avoid future depression where the trench is backfilled. We do have some big rocks lurking below...

  4. #4Jonas3022019-11-07 19:10

    Lots of variables I've used both and they pull a real nice trench in the right conditions 1800 feet is a long ways to back a skidsteer in a strait line At home with clay, hardpan and some rocks worked great 20 miles away in sand cant keep the trench open