Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stabil trac system

pell ยท 2013-08-13 22:57

Hi all I am asking about wether you can bypass that system in a 6042 2005 skytrac. I always lock it up on odd angles then it releases when you drop it back around 30 degrees or so. When it goes back the load usually shifts heavily (bad with trusses etc way out on stick) I know I dont want to roll it but that safety feature is rather dangerous often. I guess it goes without saying pay more attention but you do need to get stuff done...... Thanks for any help even of its don't f with it yahoo Pell

Replies5
  1. #1Aero Lift2013-08-14 22:58

    I recommend that you NEVER do this. I have seen a piece of 3" wide sheet metal bent like a V with 3" flanges on either side and it was "tyveked" over the magnetic boom sensor that protrudes thru the upper frame on the right side. The sensor thus "sees" the boom and stays in "low boom" mode. It will stay in that mode indefinitely. the boom will not "jump" as it releases to the "low boom" mode, when boomed down while setting trusses. I repeat NEVER do this.

  2. #2Random_Misfire2013-08-15 18:22

    The rear axle locks/goes into slow pivot mode at 40 degrees. There is a little light in the cluster with the fuel gauge, next time your boom is elevated watch this light. You'll notice that when you take your foot off the brake (completely) the locked light goes out. (I can't remember off the top of my head exactly but the modes are also affected by position of the gear lever and the park brake switch) At this point your in slow pivot mode and the rear axle is conforming to the new changes in terrain (slowly). Perhaps the Stabil Trak system isn't working properly but most times I've found that is is due to lack of knowledge. And yes there is a way to bypass it aside from placing metal in front of the sensor but I highly do not recommend this. There is also a procedure for testing this sytem.

  3. #3icestationzebra2013-08-15 23:18

    This is the first thing they will look for after you drop it on its side. And if you try to jump (because you have the seat belt on right?) there is a good chance you will get crushed or maybe just loose a limb. Had at least one lawsuit a year from people doing this $#%&. Not smart. Below 40deg: rear axle free floats Above 40deg AND park brake off AND in gear AND not on service brake: rear axle in slow pivot mode Above 40deg AND park brake on, or in neutral, or depressing service brake: rear axle in locked mode and frame tilt in slow mode Also, some time around 2000 Sky Trak adopted the Lull logic to lock the rear axle when the brake pressure exceeded something like 100psi at any boom angle. This isn't in the new manual so I don't know if they took out the feature of just didn't document it. (Some people don't like the idea because you can make a wheel lift while driving around, but it can actually save your bacon if the machine starts tipping over - stand on the brake and you go into four-point stance giving you a chance to lower the boom.) You have three options to stop the jerk. - Allow it time to shift while in slow pivot mode - Re-level the machine before dropping the boom below 40deg - Hold the brake to keep the system locked while you lower the boom. (provided the feature is still there) Be safe, ISZ

  4. #4pell2013-08-16 00:00

    Thank you all for your concern of my ignorance, I knew it was basically wrong and I just have to watch when the boom drops below 40 and it jerks back to normal. Thank you again all and isz for the option of keeping foot on brake while dropping boom as I believe that will work .You guys probably saved someones life.....me? I will listen

  5. #5icestationzebra2013-08-19 21:09

    Just trying to keep everyone safe. ISZ