Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stalling Dozer…

nffs06 ยท 2007-11-23 23:33

I am wondering if anyone has heard of or had this problem before. I have a 98' Komatsu D39P with about 4100 hrs with hydostatic steer. It has started stalling when engauged into reverse. Sometimes it will backup for 20 feet before stalling other times 6 inches. It never stalls in any of the forward gears. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1Deas Plant2007-11-24 09:28

    Stalling. Hi, Nffs06. Question - Does this little jigger have an automatic parking brake? If so, that is where I would look first. Hope this helps.

  2. #2N.CarolinaDozer2007-11-24 09:43

    No solution to your problem. But I had a problem on a D5G stalling on slopes! Not the best time to stall. I would be back down a slope and it would kick out of gear a start flying down the hill! All I can say is have your foot ready on the brake.

  3. #3Wulf2007-11-24 10:52

    nffs06... maybe this seems like a stupid question but just to be clear on something, when you say the machine stalls do you mean the engine quits or the machine just stops driving? Also is this a torque converter machine with joystick steer that you are describing? Any other symptoms... are you steering when it happens, what gear are you in?

  4. #4nffs062007-11-25 21:02

    Deas Plant - It has a manual parking brake. Wulf - When I say "stall" I mean engine quits. Yes it has a joystick control with a torque converter. I can be in any gear in reverse steering or not and it will stall. I have been told it can be in the joystck control, or a valve in the hydraulic line going into the transmission, or even clutch discs in the transmission. Hoping someone has had or heard of the same problem before I go replacing stuff.

  5. #5dumptrucker2007-11-25 21:13

    Sounds to me like it is something electrical. What kind of shut-off does this have? Is it shut off with the throttle control or just turn the key off and machine is off. If it is electrical there could be a wire shorting out , all though it is odd that it does not happen going forward.:beatsme

  6. #6Lashlander2007-11-25 23:04

    Without knowing anything about the machine I would check that no part of the transmission linkage is touching the wireing harness. It could be rubbed through in a certain spot.