Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stalling Hitachi EX200-5

Huband1 ยท 2015-04-17 00:53

Hello there, I am have recently started to have some issues with my 1998 EX200-5. The symptoms have only presented themselves the last 2 times I have run the machine, and only after the machine has been working for an hour or so. The problem comes on and gets worse with increased use. I have stalled the engine when asking the hydraulics to work hard, picking up a heavy cleanup bucket full or when I would curl until the cylinder bottoms and the pressure relief has to open. Other symptoms I have noted, the engine after stalling starts right up and happily idles, doesn't appear to smoke hard during or after stall. I shut the machine down and checked hydraulic fluid level, looks fine, I pressed the pressure relief valve on the hyd tank and it seemed to let go of quite a bit of pressure. Prior to machine stalling, I seemed to notice some increase in what feels like jerkiness in hydraulic control (I am a new operator), but I wonder if that has something to do with the problem? I have recently changed fuel filter, and engine oil and filter. I have downloaded a manual, but am not even sure where I should start with the trouble shooting of this problem.... can anyone offer a suggestion on what I should look at first? Thanks, Alan

Replies17
  1. #1roddyo2015-04-17 01:19

    Maybe a screen in the fuel filter or collapsing fuel line. I'm dealing with this on a smaller scale, I think it's a pretty common occurrence.

  2. #2digger_hunter2015-04-17 02:37

    Hi I am wondering if this model has a DP sensor thats given up. The symptom you mention happens when the DP sensor goes in the -2/-3 models. Does the machine heat go up as well? Also the pump should have some solenoids that regulate the pump. Check if these connections are good and if these solenoids are working. I am talking from experience on EX120-2/-3 models and hopefully your machine should have similar electronics. PM if i can help any further

  3. #3Huband12015-04-17 02:51

    I have been searching forum posts looking for more information. Roddyo, I will check for clogged banjo filter. Is the filter on the inlet fitting on the fuel pump? I will try machine tomorrow after work see if the engine recovers slowly or quickly after lugging down. I have read that a slow recovery likely points to a fuel delivery issue. Digger, I believe the dash -5 has a DP sensor. I downloaded a manual for the machine, but am just starting to look through it..... it's about 800 pages long and there is a lot to look at! I will try to take more accurate notes of the exact symptoms next time it lugs down, regards, Alan

  4. #4digger_hunter2015-04-17 02:57

    Hi Alan, We had a problem on a EX120-2 and the machine was very sluggish at start and then the slightest load and the engine died, we found the exhaust was leaking and cooked the solenoid connector on the pump that destrokes and angles the pump. Put a new connect and straight away it was ok. When the DP is not working correctly (common issue) the machine tends to get hot and is sluggish and stalls as well under load.

  5. #5Huband12015-04-18 03:00

    I ran the machine after work tonight, machine performed just fine for about 40 minutes than the issues began to present themselves. When the engine pulls down, and I let off the hydraulics, engine seems to regain power quickly. It got worse as time goes on until you really can't ask much of the hydraulics before it really tried to stall the engine. I stopped, filled up the fuel and chatted with a neighbor. He asked if I was running the machine in something silly like grapple mode..... I think the mode was set to whatever is the lowest of the four modes. Anyway I set the mode to the one above it and ran the machine again. I only ran it for another 30 minutes, but it ran strong, no issues. Hoping to run the machine tomorrow as I have a whole lot of fill coming and I need to make room for it.

  6. #6Huband12015-04-20 01:39

    The problem is definitely still present. I managed to run the machine for several hours today before the issue appeared again. The problem gets worse and worse, until you can hardly do any work at all before the engine lugs down. I shut down, filled up my tidy tank and refueled the machine. Let is sit for probably 45 minutes. It probably got another 40 minutes before it started to lug the engine down when hydraulics are called on. It seems to be something that gets worse as the machine heats up, but I do not notice the engine temp get hot. Gauge shows engine comes up to temp and then stays there.

  7. #7digger_hunter2015-04-20 11:06

    I reckon its your DP sensor thats playing up or maybe even the pilot pump pressure falling. But more likely the DP sensor. I reckon the problems gotta be there or if those check out check if the pump solenoids (on top of the pump) are sticking or something like that. Almost every problem i have come across so far on these (mind you EX120 though) have been DP, angle sensor, or pump solenoid related.

  8. #8KenAl2015-04-21 20:47

    No DP sensor no pump stroke solenoids on that machine. When it happens again (Just before it stalls) check your exhaust stack. Black smoke and you don't have a fuel problem, no smoke and it stalls. Lack of fuel. This test is for that style of mechanical fuel injection. Note to others don't use this for ZX-3 and above.

  9. #9Huband12015-04-22 01:24

    There is no black smoke before it stalls out. The problem has been getting worse and worse, and yes it definitely appears to be a fuel problem. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel, in fact it will only operate with any load for 10 minutes before it falters. I have to pump up the manual lift pump till pump gets hard to pump, then it runs fine for 10 minutes than craps out. Does this machine use an electric or mechanical delivery pump? It looks like there is a fitting on top of the fuel filter housing, that I can fit a pressure gauge to. I imagine I could have a pump that isn't working worth a dam or some sort of leak that is sucking in air. Any suggestions for trouble shooting course of action.... please! Alan

  10. #10Huband12015-04-22 02:43

    I have been looking thru the manuals I downloaded, it appears the manual pump is part of the fuel feed pump, not an electric one. It looks like the fuel path is tank to fuel/water separator, to feed pump, to filter, and on to the injection pump. When I unscrew the hand pump and pump, there is some fuel leakage at the hand pump. Do lift pumps commonly give up the ghost? Should I order a new lift pump and try to run all new hose from tank?

  11. #11digger_hunter2015-04-22 11:30

    Maybe this will help, We had a similar problem with a Cat 312C which just cut out like exactly after running 10min or so, same as yours, had to pump the feed pump till it was hard and it was running fine for another 10 min and cut out..... so checkd all filters etc all was ok. And then decided to removed the water separator and for some reason removed the water separator manifold and found it was totally clogged with all sorts of rubbish from the tank! So what was happening was the engine used the fuel in the line and then just cut out. So check the manifold of the water separator........short check might save you a lot of hassle!

  12. #12Huband12015-04-22 11:45

    Thanks for the advice digger, it feels like there is some sort of obstruction. When I pump the feed pump, it feels like the pump is sucking and has a hard time getting fuel to push. I think I will do as you say and maybe try to blow a bit of air from the water seperator back to the tank.... maybe something is clogging from water seperator to tank. I think I should pull the fuel tank and give it all good clean, but in the short term the trucks keep coming and I have to try to make room for them to dump.

  13. #13digger_hunter2015-04-22 12:20

    Hey. No problems. But a quick check would be to remove the water separator and check if the top bit of that filter assy is clogged. What we found was the filter itself was clean. But the fuel in and out to the water sepwrator was clogged with rust from the tank and all sorts of stuff. I suppose you could couple the pipes going to the water seperator for a few hours and just bypass the seperator for a few hours to see if that fixes the problem. And they you would have more evidence for the problem being in the water seperator. Saves you taking out the tank and all initially although you will probably have to remove it to clean it if you do find it full of contaminants.

  14. #14Huband12015-04-23 02:23

    Well looks like immediate problem has been solved, I ran the machine for an hour before going to work this morning, wanted to make sure the trucks that were soon to roll in had a place to dump. Had to hand pump to get enough fuel to keep the machine running. When I arrived back after work, one of the truckers told me he ran the machine for 1/2 an hour moving piles around and not a problem!? OK. I ran it for about an hour and then the faltering started again. I pulled the fuel line off the water separator and ..... inlet screen right plugged with trash. I blew back thru the tank supply line, put it back together and it seems to be running like a champ! I would like to thank all those who offered help with this issue, I only wish I had followed the advice right at the beginning! What a dummy.... in my own defence I looked at the manual I had and it showed no inlet filter with this machine. Any way happy to be digging strong again. Regards, Alan

  15. #15tool_king2015-04-23 21:34

    Huband1 Drain and clean the fuel tank out or the dirt will plug it up again on you .And you will be stuck again .

  16. #16Huband12015-04-24 01:04

    I will pull the tank and clean out any trash. Has anyone pulled a fuel tank from a Hitachi 200? I am hoping that it is not too involved a process to remove the tank. I have been told there is a rad shop in town that can steam/pressure wash fuel tanks. Any suggestions for a good strategy on this job?

  17. #17tool_king2015-04-24 19:33

    Huband1 It is a easy job .Drain the fuel .Remove the fuel lines,electrical wires for fuel gauge and the four mounting bolts .And lift the tank off .We have done these many time at shop .Also can be done one site .Just need to have enough barrels for fuel .Make sure when you clean it .You dry the inside with compressed air and towels .To get any water out .Have question call me at 1-201-832 -1606 cell. Thanks ED