I was doing a regular maintenance yesterday on a genset and one of my items is to check the battery, starter, etc. by cranking a dead engine a little while. It is a Deere 4045 with a Stanadyne DB4 and I had removed the hot wire from the pump to do the test. During the crank cycle, it was popping and sputtering a little bit almost like it was going to start. Nothing serious happened but it gave me pause as to how it was injecting any fuel with the wire disconnected. I had already changed the fuel filter and hand primed but there was still mostly air coming through at the time I am sure as it had not yet been started on the new fuel filter. Once I moved on to other items it was starting and stopping normally. Is there any cause for concern that something might be hanging up in the pump? Was the air in fuel making it act funny?
I wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought.