Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Standard plow bolt size?

IceHole ยท 2026-05-10 12:53

I bought a cheap 84" bucket that I plan to put a bolt on cutting edge. Without, these buckets bend fairly easy. Just going to use some 1/2" 6" steel and broach the squares for plow bolts. "Real" cutting edges are way expensive, I can buy probably enough 1/2" bar for the price of 3 or 4 store bought cutting edges What's the standard plow bolt size? I had in mind it's 1/2", which I guess is a #3? Or 5/8" I don't have a bucket around to measure.

Replies6
  1. #1CM19952026-05-10 13:47

    These are the bolts on both our 279D buckets that have BOCE's. https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/product/159-2953

  2. #2IceHole2026-05-10 19:53

    Weird it's metric. All the CATs I've worked on were SAE ither than a Mitsubishi (CAT) forklift.

  3. #3CM19952026-05-10 20:00

    A lot of metric stuff on our Cats.

  4. #4bad Tom2026-05-11 09:04

    Case uses 5/8x2 course thread bolts. grade 5

  5. #5IceHole2026-05-26 03:51

    Got some 3/4". I think that's what my other bucket has. This one ended up being an 86" pretty heavy too, about 600lbs.

  6. #6IceHole2026-06-07 02:37

    5/8" was correct