Around here this was an iconic drivein theater, very sad to see it go Been watching as one of the bigger demo outfits started demoing a local drivein movie theater a few weeks ago. Usually drive by it on the weekends early in the morning... every week they bring in bigger stuff This saturday they had a couple of long reach machines in there to start on the big screen! Sad to see it get taken down, have a lot of good memories from there in the good ole days I don't know any of the guys from the demo outfit otherwise I'd try to get more pics for you guys...
Around 1986 one vanished about 65 miles north on 99 from the Starlight... yep the good old days. (deep sigh)
You got it Mother, very big sigh. We lost ours years ago, early 80's. Friday night at the passion pit in the 70's. First time I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show was at the drive in. Yep, the good old days is right.
The Valley Drive-in got taken down a year of more ago. Same feeling!
Really! Auburn or Nob Hill?
I think my first born was conceived at a drive in.
Valley 6 was demoed in 2013 I think.
It was Auburn. The grounds are still there but I believe will soon become houses. Left a speaker in the window in the car one night when pulling out. The window of the old 57 Chevy 210 was stronger than the cord. I should have kept both those.
Yeah, I bet there were a lot of car windows that won the tug-o-war Drove by the Starlight this morning again... pretty much only thing left standing is the sign Machines are still there. Lots of rubble to move out now.
Speaking about Drive-Ins we still have one that has been going since 1947, I actually spent a couple summers mowing the lawn out front and helped the owner at that time replaced the projectors. He also owned another Drive-In east of town and a small indoor theater down town. Both of those are long gone.
There’s the Blue Fox drive-in on Whidbey Island. They had a fundraiser a few years back so they could upgrade to digital projection. Don’t recall the cost but it was high enough that they couldn’t have stayed open without the public’s support.
Our drive in still stands....covered in steel siding so it looks good. The parking area is driving range for the golf course next door. I think the owner lets it stand as an "up yours" salute for all the years of crap he endured while it was open. Back in the day cars would be backed up on the freeway waiting to get in friday and saturday evenings. Amazing how popular a big screen porn drive in was. Ed
I worked in Freeland for year... where is the Blue Fox? Oak Harbor?
Yeah, Oak Harbor https://www.bluefoxdrivein.com/
Thanks for the link. I bought a Jeep SJ Cherokee Chief from a guy in that first house on Monroe Landing Rd. about 10 years ago. I had forgotten about the drive in.
Well drove by early saturday and they ere still cleaning up the site. They had also brought in a crusher and stacker for dealing with all the footing demo.
Drove by again this sunday morning and they had finished with the footings.
Went by this morning and all the concrete is gone plus they have the main parking area graded flat.
Quick update on the lot here. They flattened it out pretty good!!! Looks like they are starting on the stormwater retention systems.
Ronsii what are they building in it's place? I see some large StormTech chambers in the last pic.
2nd that what are they building. We have one fairly close by does a double feature on 2 different screens friday and sat thru the summer , badin lake drive in its about 45 minutes from the house but me and wife made it out there one time this year so far when it cools down a little more gonna go again .
I forgot to add they built a new drive in here - https://www.grandriverdrive-in.com/ Never been though.
I don't know what they're building in it's place??? Keep meaning to do some research and see what else the GC builds but haven/t done it yet... at first I thought it was going to be a warehouse distribution center because of the proximity to I5 and a few of them sprouted up near there recently but the GC isn't any of the guys that usually do them so.. not sure I drive by there pretty early in the mornings on weekends and so far the only guys I seen working those days were the demo guys... I guess I should find the little yellow sign and actually read it it'll probably tell exactly whats being built. The site is over 13.5 acres and surrounded by a mobile home park on the north, single family homes on most of the east, a mix of homes and retail on the south and west is pretty much all small retail businesses. So... probably be some kind of retail center strip mall or similar.... For the last 15+ years it was turned into a kind of swap meet selling mostly imported junk and some garage sales mixed in. I put some orange marker where the stormtech are and grey and dk.grey where they have the ADS stockpiled, the road on the south already has storm and other utilities under it so I'm guessing they'll tie the stormtech exit right there.
Here is a warehouse they just completed less than a year ago, it's about 3500 feet south of the starlight site. Roughly the same size site... maybe a tad smaller but not as much L shaped...
I just realized I drew the ADS pipe stockpiles in the wrong corner four pics up... should have been in the upper right corner(north east).
That property would make a good distribution center. So flat out there..
Drove by this morning but it was raining and I didn't want to get wet so I didn't walk over to see what any of their signs said.... but did notice they got more stormtek stuff in and put it in the southwest corner. And they moved the rest closer to the fence and have done more digging where they had originally placed them... I'm guessin' someone missed the grade
Looks like they are getting the storm system buried. And here is another tiltup that just got started a month ago, it is less than a quarter mile due east of the other building in post #25 and sits right next to the interstate. These things are popping up everywhere!!!
I saw building like this back around 2007? The question is how much of it is being done on borrowed money?
I would guess the majority of the projects are being built on borrowed money of some sort, it's how the market works. The big warehouse jobs I've worked on were for developers that owned the building and leased it to the large corporations on a long term lease. Apparently there is big money in building distribution centers and leasing them to Fortune 500 type corporations. A 15-20 year lease from a Fortune 500 company is money in the bank. The loans are structured to pay off the debt well before the lease runs out. Now someone would have to have brass balls to spec build one..Just my $.02.
The developments that went into receivership in this area were all on borrowed money and many mid size contractors were driven into bankruptcy because the developers would't pay their debts. The building boom here now is almost like then and the storm clouds are on the horizon. It's funny because there were several spec warehouse projects in progress back then that finished during the bust. I went by plenty of residential projects where the plastic pipe sticking out of the lots reminded me of a mushroom bloom after a big rain.
We do work for a large warehouse management/owner and they are constantly buying and building more everyday... across the globe!!! and you can bet your bottom dollar they borrow the building money just like everyone else even though they have billions in assets and cash.... they also just completed a tri level dist center in seattle first one of it's kind in the USA. They really don't care about storm clouds as their advisors look at the long run and what they will be doing in 50 - 100 years, besides they know the current crop of weather forecasters are chicken littles and like most weather people they can't get it right most of the time anyways....
They got some long footings poured in the last week or so. this pic was taken from the east border looking west.
That the one at 4th/Michigan/Marginal? Watched it going up. Haven’t been by that area for several months.
Yep, that's it. As far as I know it's complete.... no damage as of yet... or at least we haven't been called to fix any been up the road a mile or so working on the other warehouses.
A quick update Went by the starlite site early this morning they were already pouring slabs had a couple trucks in and a few ride-on finishers sitting there all ready. Unfortunately my cel camera is about worthless in low light conditions... or maybe it's the operator Should be seeing some walls popping up in a week or so
Well no walls yet.... maybe it's not going to have walls??? But they got curb an gutter poured around the entire perimeter along with sidewalks... starting to sound like a mini mall.
Well, they finally moved a crane into the starlite site things are looking up
I actually got out of the truck this morning to get a better pic of the crane
Looks like a tilt-up project.
Kinda what I was thinking the other morning when I saw the crane and type of rigging It just seems to have slowed down to a crawl.... usually they put these tiltup warehouse projects up like cel towers!!! Fast!!!!! but who knows??? I see most of them in easier counties to deal with
The panels have to cure so many days before they can lift and set them. They might have had a few weak cylinder breaks or something. Who knows?
Ok, we got walls!!! and about time if I do say so It now officially looks like a regular warehouse They also put in new curb an gutter on the north border road and already redid the asphalt! Northwest corner looking southeast North face of the building, looks like they got plenty of extra fill for the planters and whatnot.
North face again looking west. East face of building. South face of building. East face of building.
Been a while since I last put any pics up here, was running late getting out of tacoma this morning so it was already light going by the starlite site I figgered I stop in and get some pics Roof is getting dried in and they got most of the glazing in and done. North and west walls . North wall. North wall again. East wall. We had some pretty good winds along with the rain torrents last night!
East wall again. East wall again. East and south walls. And east wall again.
Geez... Insta-tilt up
Yeah, they sure are building a lot of them too!!!! was heading home this morning and thought I'd take a little detour through frederickson area just to see what's happening... I'd been through some of the last years new places over by randles gravel pit a few times but if you go just a bit further south and west they are really going to town!!!!! must be another dozen already up HUGE tiltups and at least another dozen areas cleared for more I am sure all he big names will be in there too...AMZ...etc...
Here's a quick map of the area(slow day today ), I highlighted what I think is how much land they're developing... dotted line is some houses but they could buy them out.... it looks to be about 600 acres without the extra dotted area! WP is the whirlpool warehouse it's been up for a couple years or so BB is the best buy in the previous pic Log mill is in the background of the other pic I put up(got cold thread) with the grapples in it and of course Randles pit is on the right side(east) of the map. I still can't believe the amount of these warehouses that are getting built around here
That's a good looking building. The last tilt up warehouse we worked on wasn't as attractive.
I see yours is still using external downspouts... quite a few of the new ones(and old) around here use internal piping but still have overflows outside of course.
This was prior to the 50K SF addition and those gutters were quite a PITA. There's obviously a lot of water coming off those downspouts so we had to temp. tie them together and route around the building pad until the new roof was on, it was a challenge. There were many "modifications" to the temp. HDPE drains from the slab pour to the roof being installed. We tied the new gutters into the storm drain system via a new manhole on an existing line that was 12-14' deep IIRC.
Well they finally took the signs down sometime last week at the starlite site. Looks like somebody bumped the light pole that was behind it too.
A bit of local jargon from Savannah, now the 3rd largest U.S. container port in the US (behind LA & NY/NJ. We call the general warehouse businesses that operate in these warehouses stuffin' and strippin' operations, because most of their inbound arrives in containers that need to be "stripped" and, hopefully, there is outbound cargo to stuff in to the container as opposed to sending it back to the docks empty.
I think we get a lot of you cargo up here.... cause there's a lot of trucks with 'Savannah Logistics' on the side
Ronsil, I wish, but "Savannah Logistics" is based in Seattle, a beautiful city.
Used to be... yeah, I think the savanah they're meaning is south sahara area.
Dropped by the starlite site this morning on the way out of tacoma, looks like they're just about done with the new tiltup. SouthEast corner looking north. SouthEast corner looking west.
Swung by the site this morning again... not a whole lot has changed, they got most of the landscaping done and outside fascia stuff pretty much done. I just did a drive by shooting of pics so ... might be a tad blurry. Southwest corner, got a big berm around this area... seems like a waste of space to me... I know they didn't have elevation issues.. so either it's a 'green' thing or just part of what the architect/designer wants. South face: Got the standard islands and light poles waiting to be slaughtered Southeast corner:
Doesn't look like they left much extra room to straighten out when backing up to the dock...... Ed
They never do... space is money Here are some sat pics of a couple places we fix up north, these buildings have 53 foot trailers and full sleeper tractors trying to get into both sides of the warehouses... at the same time sometimes it's just painful to watch them jockeying a rig for half an hour Here is another one where the space drops to 75 feet... this one has killed many a diesel oil pan there is a sort of shallow drainage swale that runs along the trees in the bottom of the pic... and at least a couple trucks a day drive into it... and probably 2-3 a month rip their pans open in it
Now, if you blokes used cabovers, manoeuvring in these tight spots wouldn’t be such a drama.
Ain't that the truth Most of the trucks here are second(or first) houses to their drivers.... There are two types of drivers: Long haul... that need a big truck as they are on the road for 3-10 days at a time. and then the newer, cheaper, imported driver that lives in their truck so they can work cheaper than the regular guy... and their truck is usually beat to a **** inside and out
We have a Home Depot DC here that we rip-rapped around 1500 LF of ditch around the parking lot. The parking lot can hold 1,000 53' van trailers. The place is huge with plenty of space. The ditch runs along the north west corner of the parking lot.
I see they do give the truckers a little more room to work with in AL.
There is plenty of room for the trucks to move around and the Snider drivers need all the room they can get... The jockey drivers were awesome to work with. When we started the rip-rap project the upper management set a protocol up where we had to make a request to move trailers backed up to the ditch 24 hours in advance. I had 2 end dumps hauling around 8 loads of rip-rap a day so we had to do 2-3 trailer moves a day in order to not handle the rip-rap more than necessary. I made friends with the jockey drivers and they told me to put a cone in front of the trailers that I needed to move for the day and they took care of it. After that I never went back to the dispatch office. They just took care of it.
Yeah, it's nice when they'll work with you on simple stuff like moving trailers most of the places we work at know us and usually it don't hardly take one request to any driver we see and they'll move stuff as soon as they get a chance... there have been a few times though when the corporate rules get in the way and then the first and second request gets lost somewhere....