Hi there, My truck had just passed a pit inspection when a number of things started to go wrong before I even left the workshop. The worst is that the mechanic started my truck as we were talking and 3 minutes later as it was idling smoke started belching from the starter motor snd it was super hot. needless to say it is cactus snd I had to buy a new one but I’m reluctant to let this mechanic touch my vehicle again. Can anyone tell me if the starter is supposed to be fuse protected? If so, why was it allowed to be destroyed. If I replace the starter myself with new one, what are the chances that it will be destroyed by current also? thanks any help. I am deeply distressed. The starter. Was $750!
I highly doubt it was the mechanics fault solenoid probably stuck in unless he was messing with the wiring
No fuse or circuit breaker is in the starting motor battery wire circuit. Quite often a failing starter switch will stick in the start position. If the solenoid doesn't engage the Bendix drive to the flywheel the starter will spin freely and very fast and usually no harm is done to the starter. But, if the Bendix engages the flywheel ring gear like yours did the motor will tun it so fast it will be destroyed in about a minute. My last one cost me $300.00 US and I did the labor. The old starter couldn't be rebuilt. The armature windings separated from the armature and destroyed the field coils.
Use to be a fairly common issue with 40mt and 42mt of solenoid contacts sticking causing to stay engaged after start up. When starting up cold or hot one thing to check is volt gauge climbs to 14 volts. The later starters can come with crank protection. Saw a 70 Pete 352 burn to the ground because a starter motored on a Detroit 318. Caught the oily mess around the engine and frame on fire. Gott'a love those Detroits.
Am not a diesel mech but remember low voltage equals hi amps could be charging problem or battery's cranking slow for a period of time or even a ground cable that is bad could draw hi amps to starter
If solenoids don't have silver contacts they aren't worth much.