Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starter motor solenoid gone bad. Replace whole starter or just solenoid?

JL Sargent ยท 2021-07-08 17:21

This a 12v starter and I can still crank it with a screwdriver across the terminals. I can see that the control post is rotten. In the past I have always replaced the whole starter. Looks like I could just swap the solenoid this time. Anybody just do the solenoid sometimes?

Replies10
  1. #1ianjoub2021-07-08 18:12

    If available, just the solenoid.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2021-07-08 18:14

    Just fix what it needs we fix all of our own starters any time it's possible. Saves money and the old starters are most of the time better then China ones.

  3. #3JLarson2021-07-08 18:45

    No cause then when the rest of the starter goes tits up a week later I have to warranty that.

  4. #4Jonas3022021-07-08 19:01

    Sometimes ,and sometimes the solenoid is to expensive or hard to get And like Jlarson says never for a customer

  5. #556wrench2021-07-08 22:00

    This is one of those 'it depends' answers. My own, yes. Customer, maybe- depends on the customer and also availability of solenoid or complete starter (reman or new) and how much the customer will spend. The customer has to also understand if the rest of the starter fails a week later thats on him because he was too cheap to spend the money for a complete starter and i would not warranty the solenoid replacement in that case. Some OEM solenoids are stupid priced ie. JD nippondenso starter on an old 6030 tractor. I think it was about $300 for just the solenoid through JD

  6. #6NH575E2021-07-08 22:39

    I buy new starters from DB Electric when I need one. Great prices and never got a bad one.

  7. #7skyking12021-07-08 22:54

    Depends. I have a couple of torn shoulders and the idea of putting in a 60 pound starter on the dump truck without help just sounded like a bad time. I went with the solenoid from the top for the win.

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-07-08 23:18

    What machine and what starter? Nippondenso are famous for solenoid problems. Usually the plunger and contacts arc and won't let the current through.

  9. #9JL Sargent2021-07-09 09:11

    This specific one is on a service truck with a 350 GM engine. I went ahead and replaced the whole starter, but I think I will replace the solenoid on the one I pulled for a spare.

  10. #1056wrench2021-07-09 09:19

    Easy to check the brushes while you got it on the bench and you might as well check to see how tight the bushings are before you commit to the solenoid.