I have a old 1967 977k and the solenoid went out, when I was changing it the bolt that sits right behind it that has the copper strap L bracket that connects it to the starter broke free and just free spins now. I hooked everything back up and 99% sure I have it all hooked up the same way from what I remeber and looking at diagrams the past few days to double check. But when I try and start it now sparks fly from the negitive terminal and actually melt the post a little. I called my local Cat place but they wasn't sure what that does or if there was anything connected to it or maybe just grounds the 2 together. I looked at diagrams and it doesn't look to have anything connected but it says there is a bushing between it and the case. My thinking is its not getting a good ground because it's free spinning now, but any information on how to fix this or if it maybe my problem would be great. If this isn't my problem or if anyone has anything else I can check I would love any input. I didn't take the starter off to change it. I have the battery wire new thick cable someone ran big post battery side, a wire from the harness on the S small post, the ground from starter bolt to the small G post, and a wire from the starter switch ran to the big post positive battery side terminal. I will see if it will let me add a picture of the diagram I have.
Some pics of your starter solenoid terminals would help. Can you reference some item numbers in your illustration pics so we know where you are working on those prints?
Welcome to the forum!Sounds like you have twisted the bolt off the field coil,#11 in the middle pic
Can I fix this or do I have to buy a new starter?
I have circled the bolt in rednon the pictured above. In the 2nd Pic it's 12-15 but the nut looks like it's 10 on the bolt that I believe is my problem which is not circled.
You will have to take the starter out but you can carefully take the casing off the starter and the L bracket has a contact inside that has a nut. It will have to be tightened and the contact inside, needs to be clocked correctly.
As stated, if the bolt shown by the arrow is spinning you have broken the connection to the field coils. Here's the parts diagram....