Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starting a D6 cable

carogator ยท 2011-03-06 19:04

that has been sitting for 7 years. The pony motor is out of commission and still installed. Will have to pull start unit until can find and install starter. This is a 1952 year machine and I would like to know where to find the starter mounting hole and what I need to do to get prepared to start. I don't know if the engine is stuck or not, what should I do? Thanks for any information that you may have.

Replies10
  1. #1grandpa2011-03-06 19:44

    Well Carogator Im a thinkin you got a D6, 9u series tractor there. The "starter hole" as you call it is currently being occupied by the starting motor drive. If your preparing to pull start it, you better make sure the diesel motor isn't stuck, or you could possible break something. Should be a plate on the flywheel housing you can take off and get a bar in to see if you can turn the engine over by hand. It would be quit benificial if you could get that starting motor functioning, make getting that ol girl running a whole lot easier

  2. #2OCR2011-03-06 21:54

    starting a D6 cable: Yup, grandpa... D6 9U was built from 1947 to 1959. My Dad and Uncle bought a brand new one in 1949... the year I was born. It has a hydraulic manual angle blade. Uncle owens it now, and it still runs and is usuable... First dozer I ever operated. OCR

  3. #3grandpa2011-03-07 07:30

    Carogator....... never mind, if its as old as OCR, leave it in the junk pile.

  4. #4carogator2011-03-07 09:15

    Well, I was born before these were built. Now I'm showing my age. Yes, it is a 9U and I can't get the pony working without a whole lot of expense that is not warranted right now. I believe I already have the starter and batteries. I just need to make sure that the engine isn't stuck and what to do to free it up. Thanks I was the one that parked the machine years ago and I must put it back to work or sell it.

  5. #5larslog2011-03-07 10:00

    These can be changed to direct electric start.The latest 9U's had a "starter hole"machined out below the starting engine clutch assembly and a lot of the earlier ones had a "blank" spot to drill and tap a hole for a starter.Go to the ACMOC web site and you will find a lot of information about converting these old cats to electric start.

  6. #6Justin2011-03-07 10:32

    That is classic

  7. #7white-elephant2011-06-16 23:50

    As I remember, the pony motor Cats I had to start had compression releases on them. If that is true with this one, you could put a socket and ratchet on the front pulley and turn it over by hand. And when you start it for the first time, leave the fuel shut off closed until you get oil pressure. I actually took a grease fitting and loaded the grease gun with 30 wt. and pumped into a pressure tap on the side of a 3406 to pre-oil the engine. The only other worry I would have is about the age of the diesel. Those old fuel injection units are pretty bullet proof but not with varnish in them (if it hasn't been run in a LONG time).

  8. #8D6c10K2011-06-17 07:20

    Before you turn the engine over (assuming it's not stuck) you need to be sure there isn't water in the bottom of the pan. (condensation over time can put a lot of water in oil) Either drain the oil or at least loosen the drain plug to see if water runs out. If you try to start it with water in the bottom of the pan it will get sucked up into the engine and cause bearing damage.

  9. #9Old Magnet2011-06-17 10:41

    There are a couple of options for direct electric start on the D318. Someone is marketing a starter lashup that fits in place of the pony clutch as a bolt up installation or the conventional method of mounting to the provided boss (that needs to be cut) on units before 1954 when the factory provision came out. If you plan to use glow plugs the combustion chamber bores need to be enlarged to accomodate the later chambers.

  10. #10Taylorson5012011-06-17 17:20

    Test