Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting a small business

Grader4me ยท 2007-05-09 05:26

Guy's, I am looking for some advice. Here's the story...I do a little work on the side for a very reputable firm. The work consists mainly of TCP (Traffic Control Person) courses. I am also a certified instructor for PDIC (Professional Driver Improvement Course) and DDC (Defensive Driver Course) I got into this at first just to provide my community a service, and to provide them with good information to work safe. I have been having these courses throughout the surrounding area for Fire departments and municipalities. I have actually begun to build up a cliental so to speak. The firm that I work for supplies me with the paper work, for example student handouts, tests etc. for each course. I supply the equipment (my own) such as the laptop, projector etc... The firm charges so much per person and they pay me so much per person. My take is approx. 10 per cent. I am beginning to wake up and smell the roses here. My question...Do you all think that it would be feasible to venture out on my own? Where this is such a small scale right now would I have to form my own company? What about liability insurance? I guess that I am trying to look ahead to the day that I retire. Don't want to become a couch potato. I would appreciate any feedback, as a lot of you guy's have your own companies.

Replies7
  1. #1digger242j2007-05-09 05:44

    Right off the top of my head, the first thing I'd be sure of is that those materials are not copyrighted, or otherwise proprietary to that firm. I could see them getting a little upset if you were to begin competing with them, using their own materials. Do you have a source for other similar material, or is it something you could make up on your own, without plagerizing? Would yours be as good or better than theirs? What other services do they bring to the clientele that would make them more competitive than you? Or vice versa? The matter of liability insurance is a good question. These days, you pretty much should be insured for anything you do, but I'm not sure what could be blamed on you that would cause a need for it. Interesting to think about. I'm sure others will think of better questions and answers...

  2. #2Squizzy246B2007-05-09 07:25

    Favourite subject...small business development (after beer that is). These are the questions I have to ask: 1.)Does your qualification and "authority" to teach and certify an individual rest with you...or the firm...like are you the certified provider or is that mostly the firm? 2.) Along with your qualification/certification to provide the training have you gone to an insurance broker and checked out your exposure, liability and premium???. I would look at the average general broker, I'd search for one who cover professionals, sporting providers etc. 3.) Along with smelling the roses do you have some sort of a business plan (its probably in your head) that involves setting up the business (with minimal outlay) and a fall back plan if it just goes slow or belly up. {if the plan was in CB's head we would call it lost in space ... ..but I digress} ie...can you start off....in some fashion....with very low risk so that if just ticks over it wont matter?...or do you have to jump ship from you existing source of income to start the business. There is a lot of info on the web about business plans...and a lot of it is not so relavent... 4.) What is the competiton in your area/state?. What is the size of your audience and demographic...is it big growth...or slowsville.....how many ads are there in the phone book for what you provide. Is your target audience just in boom because of development and is it gunna go bust??. 5.) This is the personal one......Do you have the Kahoonies for it??? by this I mean do you have a big mortgage or have a lot debt etc (don't answer this) that will put pressure on the business (you)...can you handle irregular income...can you stand to lose lots of your personal time. No matter what anybody says, running a small business may provide you with satisfaction, flexibility and some benefits...but there is always a payoff for this and at start up time it is usually your time and money that seems to melt out the window and be gone. The last is a little piece of advice. Too many people, in setting up a small business, base their decisions and make their plans on what they "THINK" they know about their industry. They may well know a lot about the industry but that doesn't mean they know wether a new business will survive in it. You can be the worlds best grader driver (in your frock) but that doesn't mean diddly when it comes to running your grader business. Too often it is not thoroughly researched with actual facts but is based on a lot of assumptions.. Down ere...we generally have a Chamber of Commerce and Industry which can help with information that is helpful. Its hard to talk to a bank or an insurance company if you don't have some sound facts. Being good at your job doesn't mean that you will be good at business.....I am an example of guy that knew what I was doing in terms of structural retaining walls....but I gots to tell ya...as a business I learned the hard way....(talk about a numbskull ointhead )...its a wonder I made it OH..and last question...could you...or will would you have a business mentor or support group/person.....this is a big help...trust me.

  3. #3Grader4me2007-05-09 18:29

    The material is not copyrighted(TCP) and it is the same material that our department uses (long story). This firm that I work on the side for is a non profit organization, so competing would not be a problem. Yes I could develope my own course that would be better...more updated etc.. They provide a wide range of safety courses..you name it, they provide it. Where I have the edge is that it is more convenient for the people in my surrounding area have me come to them to provide training. Plus they have already experienced my training and want me back...imagine that!:beatsme

  4. #4Grader4me2007-05-09 18:53

    I certify the individual. He/she is issued a certification card upon successful completion of the course and it is signed by me. The card has the firms logo on it, which is recognized throughout the province. No, I haven't yet...this is my first stop Good advice..this is what I am looking for. I do not want to jump ship where I am at. Just want to set something up for my future. Start very slowly and build up a little at a time...no big rush Kind of slowsville but always people moving in and out of fire departments and municipalities. These people have never received much training in these areas. This is where I want to start, and eventually include more companies etc. Also keep in mind that the courses that I teach have a 3 year expiration date. . Kahoonies? I work for the government for gods sake. Seriously I would be willing to invest if I thought there would be a chance.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-05-09 20:49

    WHAT.......for fear of hi-jacking this informative topic (great job Grader4me :thumbsup) , I will stay silent on the above comment....... BTW I had your drill the whole time Mr. Squizzy . As far as the topic, what would your obligation or liability be if someone were to blame the training they recieved from you as the cause of an accident? I know that after a person is trained (The MSHA way of course) on a piece of equipment around here there is a short unspecified amount of time after the training where the trainer could, not necessarily will, but could be held partially responsible for an accident caused by the trainee after having completed the training. It depends on the circumstances, to which there are very few, but it would definately be something to think about espicially since there wouldn't be a big company to absorb any costs like that. I don't know if something like that would apply to you. If it did then I'm sure there is some kind of insurance for that type of situation. Whenever I take a big step into something I always look at the worst case scenerio first. If I can handle the worst case scenerio then I should be able to handle the rest. :drinkup

  6. #6Grader4me2007-05-10 03:08

    The liability part is the scariest, but this is how the company off sets this a bit. As said, at the end of a TCP course I issue a certification card, but.. and I should have mentioned this previously, it is set up that the classroom is the first part and once the student is out actually doing the job, there is a place on the back of the card where his/her Supervisor signs when he/she feels that the employee is following the methods taught, and is "competent" performing the job. Hows that for passing the buck? Takes some of the heat off, but this would not be a fool proof plan if I went out on my own. Liabilty is a major issue now a days, so I would definatly have to be insured. Wouldn't take much to have your life ruined.

  7. #7poulson012007-05-23 20:09

    I attended a course on trench safety and shoring a few months ago. I thought it was an OSHA class but it was a class sponsored by American Shoring and taught by a "training contractor" (I'm quoting me ). My boss paid a couple hundred bucks for me to be certified a "competant person" (quoting the manual). There was a couple dozen people in that hotel suite, taking that class.