Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting an Excavating business, advice needed!

JGibson ยท 2014-01-20 15:02

Hi Guys. I am looking at starting my own excavating business. I have been operating since I was 11. But I don't know that much about the actual business side, how to grow, get contracts, etc. Im not even sure what machine I want first, excavator, backhoe, skid steer etc? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, John

Replies11
  1. #1fsmech2014-01-21 05:07

    Hiring a variety if machines first up to see what suits, and what you like to operate. You can claim hire costs back in tax easy just with invoices. Basic advertising and word of mouth is priceless. Good luck, lots if info on this site about all the different machine's

  2. #2kshansen2014-01-21 06:38

    The above is good advice. I'll make a couple suggestions from the other side of your business, as as someone who has dealt with hiring contractors. Show up when you say you will, if you are going to be late more than a few minutes call and let them know. Keep work site as clean and neat as possible. This goes for your equipment! Nothing would turn me off faster that seeing a guy show up with a machine that looks like it came out of a garbage dump. Don't over promise. In other words don't tell me the job will take two days when you know it will take three. If I'm paying you for the job and not by the hour and you tell me it should be done in three days and you are done sooner I, and I hope most, will be glad you finished early. And probably one of the most important, take care of your equipment from hand shovels to excavators as if your life and income depended on them, because they do!

  3. #3dirtmonkey2014-01-21 07:20

    Get to know other contractors in your area. Most will help you with " little " jobs they don't want. The biggest thing is , people need to know who they're dealing with. Do you really know what to do and will you be there when you say you will. Now and in the future. Some people won't hire a new start up just because they're not sure if you'll be on business tomorrow , next week or five years from now. It's a proving period that is hard to live through. Five to ten years is a trial / make or break period for a small business. Are you willing to stick with it , good and bad ? You will have a good year or month and see money coming in and start thinking , " man I could sure get that new Harley I've been wanting " and next month you'll be begging for any shovel job you can get just to keep the lights on ! This business is great but its a bitch also. Have a plan and commit. Ps. Take care of your equipment. In my signature is a 2040 John Deere tractor and a 79 Gmc truck. These are the original machines my father started with in 1979/80. And yes we still use them.

  4. #4JGibson2014-01-21 07:56

    Thanks, What you said makes a lot of sense. As of right now I have a mini excavator which I got for a great deal. its a 5ton so I can't do bigger projects with it. Should I get a 12-15 ton now, or should I start off without it, and see how it goes? Thanks

  5. #5fsmech2014-01-21 08:14

    What brand machines are you looking at/familiar with? Can't help a lot with the business side, more mechanical, but just thinking with a bigger machine, will you be able to transport it economically from site to site? Would get expensive if relying on transport contractors

  6. #6JGibson2014-01-21 08:58

    I have mostly had experience with deere machines, but I have a Case dealership nearby. I have a friend with a 20 ton tag trailer, so until i buy my own Dump Truck, Im not going to buy anything over 20 tons. I would love to get a zero tail swing, but for the most part they are too expensive. I have a F-350 and a 14,000lbs trailer that I use to move my Mini Excavator around. Im looking at a 13-15 ton excavator.

  7. #7nedly052014-01-22 04:48

    Since you already have and mini, a little dump truck And trailer I would reccomend a skid steer, preferably a track one if you need to buy anything. Hold off on the big hoe for now, get established with the gear you have, and rent a big hoe if you need one. Go for a season or 2, hire the big trucking out,make some money then start growing as the market and your bank account allow.good luck and post pics!

  8. #8fsmech2014-01-22 06:10

    The johndeere Hitachi partnership is producing some very good quality machines, the user interface in the New generation Hitachi is unbelievable. Can't go wrong with either

  9. #9JGibson2014-01-22 08:50

    Thanks! Your thread has helped inspire me to start this!

  10. #10JGibson2014-01-22 09:01

    This was a job I did for a friend a little while ago...

  11. #11nedly052014-01-23 05:11

    Cool! The 335 looks good, you can get a lot done with that size machine!