Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starting and idling issues with Genie S65

stks1321 ยท 2011-11-30 08:23

I started working on this machine because engine ran at max rpms at all times or it would start hunting. I have replaced the timing belt which was in bad shape. Now engine runs great with throttle actuator disconnected and using a small wire to hold butterfly open, but I have no high idle and after engine has warmed up it will not start unless I switch fuel select to LPG then back to gas. If i connect the throttle actuator up it runs at max rpms and starts to hunt. Would this be a sign of bad EEMS or bad throttle actuator? I cannot find anything on internet about either of them.

Replies6
  1. #1HD21A2011-11-30 10:55

    Look at the posts in this forum about S65 Genie starting problems. My problem was the Engine Coolant sensor was shot. Thermistor unit was open, Should have read 10,000 ohms, was 1 megohm. At engine start up, this sensor and the throttle position sensor indicator are the first sensors the computer looks at to set timing and injector mixture rates. Before we go any further I have a 1999, S-65, Ford 425I Bosch Fuel Injection. Bob

  2. #2stks13212011-11-30 12:57

    I have checked the sensor or what I believe to be the sensor (the one closest to fan) and it shows open. the rear one closest to engine which I am under the impression is the sender, shows .70 MOhms. But would that single sensor cause the engine to hit 4000 rpm and the drop to 2000 rpm then right back to 4000 rpm? This one also is a 99 S65 LRG425 with a Barber-Colman throttle actuator and its all ford EFI not sure what the bosch injection is that yours has.

  3. #3HD21A2011-11-30 17:08

    The only difference between your machine and mine is the throttle actuator assembly. I looked up your actuator and it is in the same place and does the same function as mine. Mine went out on a lift, lost power, started to stall, got down,no restart. After 10 minutes would restart, full rich, no power. die, switch to lp and back, restart full rich ect. When mine would restart, could switch to high rpm it would go high rpm but no power, and it would switch to low rpm. As you found, nothing on the internet about this engine and Genie. I download the s-65 service manual and started searching the Ford part numbers on all the sensors and found out they are used on Ford ranger trucks, same time frame. Never worked on a fuel injected engine , so that was the second search. After 3 weeks, I started to under stand something about the system. First, have you ever opened the operating pannel and ran a code check. Mine will show the 2 digit codes which Genie lists, and the 3 digit that ford engine lists. The sensor that is showing zero ohms, pull it out and if it has a short triangular probe, that is the ect sensor It has a resistance of 100,000 ohms (not the 10,000. I mentioned) Before I get to far ahead, did this machine run okay in low idle, flip speed switch, go to high speed idle, or high speed on demand when making a hyd function. I have to search but I think there is a relay that actuates the high speed circuit and the points could be stuck together. Had that happen on the fuel pump relay and that ran the battery down when parked. If you pull that sensor out, you won't lose any water. The plastic contact head pull came off mine when I was taking the wires off. The sensors can all be bought local, they are Ford Ranger parts. ECT sensor Ford F5AZ-12A648-A(or AB) Will wait for your answer, you don't want to buy an ECM, cost a friend $2,000 to have one replaced. Bob

  4. #4stks13212012-01-25 17:15

    Been a while since last post ......up to this point the ECM and throttle actuator has been replaced with the new bosch throttle body and ford ecm however now the machine runs like crap at low idle. I have no high idle and I get code 545 Gov. interlock failure.. what is this?? coolant sensors have been replaced and machine is hard to start on gas, 2 days ago it would run ok on lpg now it will not. If the engine runs for 20-30 min it will idle up and sound good for a min or 2 then it drop[s idle and then has a putt putt putt sound at around 600-700 rpm.

  5. #5VoodooMojo2012-01-26 20:15

    a couple questions stks: Does the ECM have two plugs (black and gray) connecting to it, or just one long plug? When the ECM (gcp) was replaced, was the new harness installed? Did this come as a kit (governor + ecm + harness)? What is the part number on the ecm? Have you tried running it on gasoline with the propane mixer pulled away from the Bosch governor? Now for the 545: it appears the Governor Selection Set-up has not been programmed correctly. It is thinking it is in the Brake Input Mode and not the IVS Input Mode. When in the Brake Input Mode, The GCP (ECM) is looking for a Ground at the Brake Switch Input (Gray Plug, Pin 6, Light Green/Red wire) before it will let the governor let the engine increase rpm. If it sees the input from the high idle switch and not a ground on gray plug pin 6, it will go into the 545fault mode. When this happens, the Low Rev Limit is enforced. Shown here is the point in the program where the choice is made in the drop-down for IVS or Brake input. Where did you get the ECM from?

  6. #6stks13212012-01-30 09:32

    thanks for the input Voodoo. I was in contact with terex on friday and the tech said the same as you did and suggested that i return the ecm because it was not programmed correctly. I am getting 14v to low and high idle pin-outs when i request high idle, but there is no response from tb unit because of the programming. Was told that the ecm's use 3 idle positions low, mid and high but genie equip only uses top 2 and the 545 code is a ground fault for a brake signal, he had me run jumper wire from pin 6 on ecm to batt ground and that closed the loop and stopped the mil light. Now I have to send ecm back and hopefully when I get replacement, i can get this machine to run.