Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starting case 1150

foursons ยท 2012-08-24 19:12

I am trying to start my case 1150 to no avail. It has been parked for two years. I just rebuilt the final drive and have it all back together. I have new batteries in it and have tried bleeding the fuel lines, to what i thought was sufficiency. And advice on what to do next? The engine is turning over fine, but doesnt want to fire. I am not very experienced with diesels so any help is appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1willie592012-08-24 21:51

    Is it just an 1150, or a letter series, like 1150B, 1150C? I have to ask the basic question, since it's been parked for two years, did you make sure you have the fuel petcock turned on in the case you turned it off two years ago?

  2. #2foursons2012-08-25 00:53

    yes The fuel is turned on. It's a straight 1150. I am hoping, like usual, that I am missing some easy step.

  3. #3Garrie Denny2012-08-25 02:13

    No expert but had same trouble with my little 70ci Fiat after fitting head. Cranked and Cranked but no fire up even with ethol spray , ,,,trouble was i hadnt bled the fuel lines properly. my dozer has two paper filters side by side with aq 1/4/bleed nut where the filter holders screw up to the head piece, when i cracked that nut and whirrled her over for aq few seconds guess what ? Sweet fire noise. Your dozer filtering system probably is different to mine but any input to a problem is better than none.Regards Aussie Garrie.

  4. #422a2012-08-25 06:37

    Don't know about an 1150 but I can remember an 850 being hard to bleed and that there was a correct procedure to be followed. Not sure if anyone knew it as the first time the 850 ran out of fuel, it took several people some time to get it going again. Recall filling a fuel filter from a coke bottle filled with diesel (not sure if that was part of the correct procedure) there was a plug in the top of the housing to allow this. At sometime a valve stem from a car or truck tube had been fitted to the fuel cap to allow the system to be pressurised, from memory this made thing easier. I'm going back 40 years and can't recall anything else about it.

  5. #5foursons2012-08-25 12:05

    thanks Thanks for the advice. I will try that. I had not thought of that. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks

  6. #6willie592012-08-25 15:27

    Maybe I'm missing something, but I look at the parts pages and don't see a fuel lift pump. Is that a gravity feed system on that thing?

  7. #7foursons2012-08-25 17:20

    Yes it's gravity to the injector pump.

  8. #8willie592012-08-25 22:27

    Gravity feed injection pumps can be difficult to prime. But something puzzles me, machine has been parked for two years, I assume it was running when it was parked, why are we now even having to prime the system? Yet, I'll admit, weird things happen that can't be explained. That looks like a Bosch inline injection pump. Loosen the injector line nuts on first and last injector line connection to pump (#1 and #6). It's difficult to loosen the other lines, 2 - 5, usually 1 and 6 will suffice. Once you get those lines cracked open, wrap a towel around an air nozzle, put it in the filler of the fuel tank, give it a small amount of air pressure, just not too much. Make sure fuel shut off is in run position, crank engine while giving pressure to fuel tank. Crank engine until you get fuel flowing from #1 and #6 injector line at pump. Continue cranking engine while you lock down #1 and #6. After a few moments, it should start moving fuel and fire off.

  9. #9docdirt.net2012-09-01 02:07

    willie59 has a good technique. I remember a water trap and petcock at the tank on an older 1150, newer just had a drain. There was a plate over the tranny level that had a small door with a bolt that held it shut over the rippers, left side. Check that. In a couple of years fuel and water can get gooey, you'll never get it to bleed right if that's the case. Gotta' have good clean free flow to the primary before bleeding.

  10. #10Garrie Denny2012-12-08 05:16

    What happened 4 sons? havent heard back to your starting problems.

  11. #11HighFly272014-02-25 04:51

    Hey All, I just read that this post was over a Year ago; I'm a little late... perhaps someone may benefit from my comment's. I had a IHC Dozer that Condensed a Load of Water in the Fuel Tank from Setting. The Water will seek the lowest point and Flow into the Fuel Injection Pump. This is a very bad thing and can wreck your injection pump. Assumption, you did not open the fuel system up or run it out of fuel. The Fuel Injection System should Not have Lost it's Prime. Again, make sure that ... No Water has Entered into you Fuel System. Follow down (gravity) and progressively look for fuel to run out as you crack the lines, about 3/4 to 1 turn on gravity feed lines. Once you ensure fuel is getting to the Injection pump, make sure your linkage is in the -- Open Throttle position ** sounds dumb, also not in shut off position !?! Have some one crank the engine and Crack the injector Fuel Lines, about 1/2 turn open to see a dripping of fuel. Do not wreck the starter, crank only 45 seconds Max. @ a time or so and let the starter rest for 15 minutes. If you have a battery charger, leave it on the battery, set it on start position when starting. Always have a fully charged battery in the machine, you need the Amps Available to start a machine. I have seen deals where the battery was weak and the engine turned over at about 1/2 cranking speed... dumb. Do Not Over Tighten the Fuel Nut Fittings...You'll Wreck the Flared Inj. Line Fitting. Once you have Fuel Verified to the Injectors, then, ... something is Really Wrong. Check the Intake Piping and make sure it's not plugged up. If you found water in the fuel system you may have wrecked the injection Pump; this happened to my IHC Pump, cost $ 500.00 bucks to overhaul it.