Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting on the 580 axle housing.

RobVG ยท 2016-01-09 16:45

It's the one with the broken housing. Got a used one from a wrecking yard in Oregon. Never done it before. Raised the front end with the loader bucket, blocked the frame, undid the driveline. Had a hard time finding room to pull it backward. Steering hoses off. Jack stands under the axle and a bottle jack to relieve weight on the pin. Started driving pin out, thank gawd it started moving. Enough fun for one afternoon.Doing it outside so the 2 bay shop doesn't get plugged up. Next is to get the pin out and raise the bucket up all the way and nose in the bobcat with forks and pull it out. I'll probably have a lot of questions in the near future. Unless I can convince the boss to send it out

Replies3
  1. #1RobVG2016-01-11 14:21

    I started driving the pin out towards the back and noticed the oil pan. I measured it and it looks like there's not enough clearance to get it out without taking the oil pan off. Is this normal?

  2. #2RobVG2016-01-11 18:56

    Somehow managed to get the pin back through the front. Made a slide hammer, it might work. See tomorrow. Has no one ever done this job or am I just being punished for something....

  3. #3RobVG2016-01-12 16:26

    Got it out. Made a slide hammer out of some pipe and fittings and threaded it into the grease hole. Took almost an hour repostioning the bobcat and machine to get it out because of unforeseen clearance issues. After reading the manual and noting the special tools, this is a bit above my pay grade. I know of an old retired cat mechanic that might give me a hand. $85 an hour but still cheaper than another shop. I'd like to work with him anyway. I think I might have to leave the guts, axles and hubs off to get the housing back in. The housing weighs 320 lbs by itself. Now to go fire up the steam cleaner.