Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting Problem Deere 690ELC

deeredriver ยท 2008-03-22 19:52

I have a strage starting problem on my 690 ELC that is driving me nuts. Sometimes, I can turn the key and it will fire right up. But other times it is not that easy. I can flip the key and get nothing. All I hear is a click in the cab, but it will not turn the starter. I have had time where the display lights up, but it still will not start. I can flip the key back and forth 5-6 times and it starts. Is this some kind of relay problem?

Replies8
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2008-03-22 20:23

    starting problem Sounds like a relay problem. BUT first I would double check all the battery connections. Battery to starter, does it have a battery cut off switch? check it also. I have had battery connection problems, bad cell in batteries, loose connection on starter, loose safety ground (block to frame) bad ignition switch, bad battery cable, bad starter and it caused the same thing. Most of the time, its a simple thing Good Luck

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-03-22 20:33

    Sorry to say there's not an easy answer to this one. The symptoms you describe could be one of a number of problems. The first thing I would do is check all your battery connections at each point from the battery to the starter and make sure they are clean. Check your ground as well. Other places to look would be the relay you suggested, the ignition switch itself, started solenoid if equipped and then the starter itself.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2008-03-22 20:35

    LOL, I was interrupted while posting, Willis and I are on the same page!

  4. #4deeredriver2008-03-22 20:47

    I don't think it is a battery or cable issue. It cranks over very fast and fires right up. The batteries are less than 1 year old, and I cleaned up the cables a little while back, and they are tight. I can turn the key on, and sometimes the display will light up and other times it will not. I am thinking is it a relay or ign. switch?

  5. #5skata2008-03-22 23:09

    if the lights dont come on all the time, i'd agree and say its a ignition switch problem or relay.

  6. #6Construct'O2008-03-22 23:26

    It could still be the battery ground,but where the ground cable is grounded to frame of the machine.If they get rusted really bad then it doesn't always make a good enough ground. Also agree might be the starter relay, had them get rusted and bad connection on my dozer.Had to replace it.I have one now that is acting the same way.Good luck:usa

  7. #7RKO2008-03-22 23:40

    690e What is wrong is there is a rely/solenoid that is mounted on the panel just above the batteries on the left side, and it has gone bad. There is at least three solenoids and could be more depending on what options the machine has. This solenoid should be the top one. Next time it does not start, you can check the solenoid by, leaving the key on and making sure there is juice at all three terminals on the solenoid. The top solenoid/rely supplies juice to all of the machine, the next solenoid down is the start solenoid/rely. Good luck.

  8. #8Dirt Dogg2008-03-23 00:25

    I had a fuse box that got moisture in it and the fuses corroded, caused my park brake to set when you least expected it