Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting Procedure for 1960’s D8 with Pony/D1300

Newtotractors · 2023-07-17 16:43

Hey all, can someone provide the proper starting procedure for my family D8? My Dad use to start it for me and I would operate it. He passed and I don’t have an operating book. Other than a step by step on starting. Any other help, tips, or suggestions for this new journey I’m on would be appreciated. I’m doing an oil change now and filled the radiator. Now sure what else I should check before I start using it to rake.

Replies8
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-07-17 17:08

    put the compression release on start pony engage pinion then engage clutch let motor turn over for a bit then close compression release . The colder it is out side the longer you need to let motor spin as the pony exhaust runs through the diesel intake to warm it up. Also make sure you put the throttle on

  2. #2Newtotractors2023-07-18 11:38

    Thanks Dave I’m not sure where the compression release on the pony is. If the clutch is the horizontal lever I pull to the right, it grinds a bit when pushed, wasn’t sure if I should force it

  3. #3chidog2023-07-18 14:17

    I didn't watch it, hope it shows a good how to. The compression release is for the diesel not the pony.

  4. #4hector gemme2023-07-18 14:30

    There are no decompression on the pony

  5. #5epirbalex2023-07-18 19:03

    That looks like a two speed gearbox on the pony motor , it will most likely need to be in 2nd to start the diesel , after giving it a run in low first . Good idea to always check the dozer is in neutral with the main clutch engaged to stop it falling into gear on its own . Cracking the injector pipes at the injectors to let new diesel in the system should be done to , throttle needs to be open to bleed the diesel but keep it closed when just warming the motor and open just when you are about to start it

  6. #6chidog2023-07-19 01:51

    I pretty much always used the ether bunny rather than burn a gallon of gas to get it running on cool days. Kinda gotta know how to meter that correctly, or head gaskets is on the list of projects. l like starting engines over the expensive battery method.

  7. #7TomA2023-07-19 11:21

    Push forward on pony clutch to brake pinion while engaging.

  8. #8Newtotractors2023-08-27 14:37

    Thanks all, I got the procedure down. Turns out I was wrong about the year. My books were printed in 1962 but the tractor is a 41-46. The fuel rack is stuck and the starter pinion/clutch is as well. Both have not been stuck for more than this summer. Waiting for some new filters and I should be able to get the fuel rack unstuck, still figuring out how to fix the starter pinion. Thinking about starting a thread on ASMOC. I hear there a lot of experts on these super old models on there.