Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steady leak from torque converter inspection plate

Canadian_digger · 2021-03-02 14:33

What’s your guess. Steady leak from torque converter inspection plate. 2016 John Deere 310SL only 850hrs on it. it was -19 Celsius this morning. My employee started the backhoe to let it warm up while he floated it to the job. Once on site he noticed oil all over the float. I’m thinking some kind of seal blew? What’s your thoughts. I plan on taking it to the dealer. I’m pretty sure the transmission will have to come out to repair the leak.

Replies18
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-03-02 14:52

    Looks like the torque convertor seal is leaking

  2. #2JL Sargent2021-03-02 15:20

    So that temp is below zero Fahrenheit. Could the seal have gone due to that low temp?

  3. #3Canadian_digger2021-03-02 17:21

    It’s -2 F. We see temps below that a lot in the winter. Never had any issues before. But I’m guessing it doesn’t help.

  4. #4JL Sargent2021-03-02 17:45

    Yeah, I'm afraid so. 850 hrs is so little time on it. I have to wonder what the low operating temperature is for that machine.

  5. #5Vetech632021-03-02 18:25

    MG could probably fix that right here!

  6. #6JL Sargent2021-03-02 22:18

    If Canadian Digger has one of these, I bet MG could talk him through it!

  7. #7old-iron-habit2021-03-03 04:25

    Our city has a 310 about that year. It sets outside with the engine plugged in. A week and a half ago it was out fixing a broken water line that had broke in the -35F tempurature. The cities ground thaw unit has been working 24-7 this year. Zero degrees should be a non factor to the TLB.

  8. #8mg23612021-03-03 05:14

    Serial number? Charge pump bushing failure is the most likely cause which will require both the pump AND the torque converter be replaced.

  9. #9Canadian_digger2021-03-03 19:53

    Ohh No. that doesn’t sound cheap. Was Hoping it was just a seal. I’m taking it to the dealer in the morning. They are going to start work on it Friday. anything that would cause that to happen at such low hours. 310sljdg301100

  10. #10Vetech632021-03-03 19:56

    Be ready to rob a bank, your going to need the money.

  11. #11mg23612021-03-04 04:57

    I PM'd you.

  12. #12JL Sargent2021-03-05 15:30

    Did the dealer have any good words on the backhoe?

  13. #13Canadian_digger2021-03-05 16:51

    Nothing yet. They will only be looking at it Monday.

  14. #14Canadian_digger2021-03-08 16:13

    MG was once again right. The pump bushing have failed. Long story short. Deere is going to be covering almost half the cost since my machine doesn’t have many hours on it. Thanks again everyone. And a big shout out to MG for the mush appreciated info and help!

  15. #15Tinkerer2021-03-08 16:47

    Wow ! A five year old machine. Kudos to John Deere ! That is how to retain customers and encourage new ones.

  16. #16Canadian_digger2021-03-08 18:34

    I didn’t even ask my dealer to help with cost. That is what they offered right off the bat when they called me to tell me what the problem was. I was happy with that too.

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-03-08 18:37

    That makes it even sweeter, CD !

  18. #18Vetech632021-03-08 18:50

    I don’t know about you guys but IM sure tired of MG being right all the time!