Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel track Cat 279

movindirt ยท 2016-02-21 17:34

Saw this online, think its a factory switch? I thought it looked good till I saw the weld on the sprocket

Replies5
  1. #1Cmark2016-02-21 19:13

    That's a hombrew job. Apart from the crappy welding it looks like it might work.

  2. #2Tags2016-02-21 19:25

    It also doesn't have a top roller that the factory Cat ones do....with welding like that on the sprocket what else did they touch....

  3. #3pafarmer2016-02-21 20:20

    Good grief , that has to be the worst welding I have ever seen. I built my first steel undercarriage for a 299XHP a few years back and the it looked like a Picasso when compared to that hack job. There are companies out there whete you can source the tracks ..

  4. #4movindirt2016-02-21 21:57

    I didn't think it looked too bad besides the sprocket myself. I haven't ever seen a steel tracked 299 up close, does this look like a 299 chain and pads, and perhaps bottom rollers?

  5. #5Roo Attachments2016-02-23 13:28

    *** with that welding did a blind guy with no gas welding that or what that is the worse welding i have ever seen!!