Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel Tracks On Asv Pt100 .

Iron Horse ยท 2008-08-16 20:32

Does anyone do a steel track conversion for the PT100 and PT80? Or has anyone done a conversion on their own machine ? I do'nt think it would be a huge deal to get a set of sprockets , rollers and steel track's for a mini excavator and adapt them . Make up a hub to take the sprockets and then fabricate a track frame . I would like one of these machines for mulching but would not want rubber tracks .

Replies16
  1. #1digging it!2008-08-16 22:24

    I agree it seems like its the biggest complaint with multi terrain loaders. I am in the market for a 272 skid steer or a 277 terrain loader but seems like they both are not exactly what I am looking for. Steel tracks would be the best.

  2. #2Iron Horse2008-08-17 04:15

    My PC60-7 excavator had steel tracks with rubber pads , it was awsome . You could do anything with it , dirt , bitumen grass , even clearing green saplings on hillsides was not a problem when walking over them . I can buy a pair of new steel 5 tonner tracks for $2000 , add another $5000 for the rest of the bits and pieces and the labour and you'd have it . A mini high track loader.

  3. #3Noose2008-08-17 11:54

    Buy a Rayco

  4. #4Digdeep2008-08-17 14:08

    The guys around here that used to run Raycos called them "hydraulic sprinklers".

  5. #5digging it!2008-08-17 16:14

    Multi terrain loaders I need to get across a stream and am wondering how rubber tracks would hold up in water and river rocks. Does anybody have any experience with this?

  6. #6Digdeep2008-08-17 16:40

    I own a RC50 up here in the Madison WI area. I push snow, excavate, and do general landscaping with it. You can imagine how wet it gets up here both in Spring and during the winter. I have seen no negative effects to the tracks due to water. There is no steel in ASV tracks. I have been told that they have the same limitations as the rubber in tires.

  7. #7digging it!2008-08-18 03:15

    Thanks for the reply, that gives me a good idea since you do have a lot of water up there. How many hrs are you getting on your ASV tracks in those conditions?

  8. #8talus2008-08-18 21:01

    Have you looked at Supertrak? The sk 140 str has steel tracks I think it's a Cat 287 b. I think it's the same undercarraige as a rc 100/pt 100. I hope they develop some for the sr 80's.

  9. #9Iron Horse2008-08-19 05:44

    No i hav'nt but i'm about too , thank's .

  10. #10Squizzy246B2008-08-19 07:53

    I think you will find that the Steel track version has an undercarriage assembly derived from a mini-ex....I don't think its a steel track whacked on the existing MTL/CTL undercarriage.:beatsme.....but I was wrong...once In a similar vein I saw a few comments hereabouts regarding there not being steel in the rubber tracks of today. This is very true. Tigerotor will correct me but some manufacturers started out with steel in the rubber tracks, I assume to improve durability. However, it soon became apparent that this was actually the cause of many failures. It was likened to getting a piece of wire and bending it 180 then straighten, then repeat....as it went around the idler or drive. This built up heat in the steel and destroyed the rubber....hence, the steel was removed from the rubber tracks.

  11. #11Digdeep2008-08-22 16:56

    I have just under 2100 hours. I think I will need to get a new set before the end of Fall. I have no complaints with the track life and I think it boils down to how you operate and maintain your machine.

  12. #12Digdeep2008-08-22 16:59

    Squizzy- all rigid undercarriage machines still use steel cables in their tracks. There may be an aftermarket track out there that doesn't but I have not heard of it. CAT and the ASV don't have steel cables.

  13. #13Squizzy246B2008-08-23 02:19

    Correct, I was referring to Cat & ASV. Bridgestone use fancy names for "No Wave Cable" and "Braiding" technology with "spiral fabric" etc.

  14. #14Chief Jim2012-05-19 09:01

    My question is: What kind of wonder stuff did they use to make the tracks for all those HALF TRACKS during WWII? I have seen those machines still running today and the tracks are still doing good. Amazing. But then, I seem to remember windshield wiper blades that would last for years. Not now. SO, has anyone gotten steel tracks on say a Caterpillar 297C Multi Terrain loader? The dealer hinted that Cat was working to do that but I have not seen them yet. I need the added grip for working steep slopes. BY the way. I would trade my D3B with the three point and Lindex 1,000rpm PTO for a Cat 297C if anyone is interested. My legs are shot and I need the joysticks.

  15. #15928G Boy2012-05-19 11:30

    Bobcat offers a steel track option on their machines. I heard it was a discontinued option but then the local dealer told me they can still get them. I know they had them for the K series T190 and T300, can't remember seeing steel on any of the M series machines though

  16. #16Chief Jim2012-05-19 12:11

    Steel Tracks vs Rubber Ha! You are right. i just looked at a U TUBE video showing the Bobcat Steel tracks on a T300. Maybe I will rent a Bobcat and see how it does on these steep slopes with a mulcher. i have always rented from CAT 'cause the Bobcat guys are far away and not very friendly. Thanks for the info. Hmmm. Why can't CAT copy that system? Another mystery.