Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steering clutch 931c

931c ยท 2014-02-15 06:32

Hi All, I have just purchased a 931c #2BJ00287. Either driving the machine or with the tracks lifted off the ground by the bucket and rippers and in all 3 forward and reverse speeds depressing the left pedal to disengage the left clutch the left track keeps pulling until the brake is applied, and also when the left pedal is applied to clutch and break the right track power is decreased or stops when in 3rd gear. The right track clutch and break work as supposed to with no effect on the left track. I am new to earth moving machine but have good mechanical understandings in other fields and have good heavy equip. support buddies with lots of experience with Deere and other brands other than cat. The machine is at there commercial heavy equipment yard and we are going to mess with it some more tomorrow. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. GREG

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2014-02-15 08:16

    First thing to do would be check the adjustment and functioning of the left clutch control linkage, both outside and (more importantly) inside the clutch housing. There are far more knowledgable experts on here than me regarding these track loaders but that's where I'd be looking.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-02-15 10:53

    Sounds like the left clutch is not releasing fully. The clutch is released by a hydraulic piston working against the steering clutch release lever. Check the clearances first . You may have low release pressure on the left steering valve . There is a service letter on making sure the pressure is high enough to prevent clutch drag.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-02-15 16:12

    Most likely the bearing on the end of the steering valve spool is worn out. This reduces the spool travel and the clutch release pressure. Fix that first. Steering uses trans pressure, if one side is good pressure must be okay. Later Bob

  4. #4931c2014-02-15 16:32

    Thank you one and all so far, very helpful. Will look into this today. How does one get the Service letter regarding the pressure? I have ordered an operation and service manual that is yet to arrive "down Under", will this have the linkage lengths etc for correct adjustment? Will look into all you have mentioned, again thanks. GREG

  5. #5Nige2014-02-15 18:28

    As a customer you can't. Only dealers can see service letters.

  6. #6wosama931b2014-02-16 13:55

    If its like the 931b it could be something like the mounting brackets, the little wheel on the end that rolls on the lobe when you push about half on the pedal, if you feel a pulsing of the pedal, the bearing is worn and maybe the lobe. and it could be the o rings inside the slave housing. good luck, sam.

  7. #7931c2014-02-22 06:50

    Hi all and thanks for the valid input. The problem was a broken spring in the spool, I replaced it, and the other one in the spool and the same two in the right side clutch release spool as well while I was in there. I figure this one broke after 5600 hours the other might and hopefully I never have to deal with that issue again as I can't see me doing 5000 hours on the machine. Thanks again. GREG

  8. #8kwequip2014-02-23 19:55

    The steering clutches on some small cat track loaders have to be filled separately. I have a 1996 cat 933 (8FL series) power shift, and it fills with two plugs at the top of the trans, and checks with two very small allen plugs on each side above the final drives. The larger loaders (955,977 oil the steering clutches with a pump out of the transmission. many people do not know this (thinking the transmission lubes the clutches, and they burn up clutches on the small loaders.