Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steering is too hard 450g john Deere Leg cramps, help!!!

10hotrod16 ยท 2012-10-31 22:56

Can I get some direction towards finding out why my 450g dozer is sooooo hard too steer, makes my legs hurt pushing so hard, :Banghead

Replies6
  1. #1Knocker of rock2012-10-31 23:29

    Do you look like: A or B

  2. #2Jim Dandy2012-11-01 09:25

    I have a 1998 650 g and on mine there is a way to adjust the steering clutches. On each side of the machine there is cap with a hole that accepts a 1/2 inch square head. It is above the track and a little forward of the sprocket. Open it up and you will see a smaller gear sprocket. Move that wheel or sprocket 3 or 4 clicks one way. I can't remember which way but if you go the right way you you will make it where you don't have to push so hard to steer. I am no mechanic but that will get you started. Make small adjustments only because you don't want to adjust so much that the clutch is constantly rubbing.

  3. #310hotrod162012-11-01 17:08

    ALLREADY TRIED THAT, IT'S LIKE THERE ISN'T ENOUGH HYDRUALIC PRESSURE APPLYING THE STEERING CLUTCHES, BUT IT'S VERY POSITIVE WHEN YOU HIT THEM HARD TO TURN, i HAVE OPERATED OTHER 650G'S LIKE MINE, AND THEY DIDN'T SEEN THAT HARD TO PEDAL.

  4. #4lobo2012-11-02 07:08

    I bought a good used 1999 450G about a year ago with 3000 hrs. My first so I cant compare to anything. I have to apply about 30lbs pressure with my foot to steer. It seems to take less if I hit the decel slighty when turning. I have very strong legs but 56 yrs. old and my legs were sore in the begining. I seem to be use to it now. A good friend of mine ran it one day and all he said was that it was very tight and brakes were good. Maybe my clutches are adjusted too tight, I never tried to adjust but figured they would loosen up with use. Anyway I wish you luck with your machine.

  5. #5PD Mech Steve2012-11-02 08:55

    Sounds like your brakes are too tight or the clutches are not releasing. Clutches are released by removing the oil pressure to them and if I remember correctly, brakes are mechanically applied. Good Luck. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com

  6. #610hotrod162012-11-03 08:45

    Thank you for your responses, maybe i'll not fall over dead using it, lol