Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sterling Axle Lock and Wheel Lock

jonespond · 2022-01-08 20:47

2000 Sterling 9513 Tandem Truck with Axle lock switch and a Wheel lock switch. Does the axle lock act the same as a power divider? With the axle lock switch on, it locks either the front or rear axle, not one wheel from each axle, which from what I understand thats what a power divider does. Trying to figure this truck out. Any help will be appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Junkyard2022-01-08 21:05

    One is the power divider. The other locks the diff so you have all 8 tires pulling. Referred to as full locking rears. You’ll know they’re locked when you go to turn and can’t lol. Don’t forget to unlock them once you’re on the road.

  2. #2Jonas3022022-01-08 22:20

    The axle lock locks the power divider the air line will go to an actuator on the front axle Wheel lock will cross lock the axles it will go to an actuator on each axle to fully lock all 8 when both switches are on

  3. #3jonespond2022-01-09 18:29

    So here is my issue. With my axle lock(power divider) switch on, it is locking either my front axle or rear axle. It does not power one wheel of the front axle and one wheel of the rear axle. I know this since we run chains on the ice roads and hooking up the lowbed the other day I had triples on my front axle, singles on the rear, and with the axle lock switch on, the rear axle tires would spin. Is this how a power divider works? Obviously the rear axle with with singles has the least amount of traction. So i swapped the chains around, triples on the rear, singles up front, and now the same result just now the front axle is spinning. Put wheel lock switch on and as it should, everything all locked in. From what I read it doesn't seem like my power divider is working right. It does power two wheels, but seems to power both on same axle which seems odd.

  4. #4Jonas3022022-01-09 19:40

    I though you might be getting at something like that thats why I mentioned how the air lines should be as its not impossible that someone had it apart and put the lines on wrong behind the dash or even the labels With only the wheel lock on does it lock them all or with both switches

  5. #5jonespond2022-01-09 20:05

    That I don't know. Won't be til later in the week til I get around to checking that out.

  6. #6jonespond2022-01-13 17:50

    So got around to checking it out today. You nailed it Jonas302, the switches are backwards. Now on to finding my ghost draw that for some reason makes the speakers make a noise when connecting the positive battery terminal, and when all grounds are disconnected, I still have power at the key switch.