I have a 2000 Sterling LT9500 Dump Truck. The rear most differential is coming apart and needs to be replaced. The one in the truck is a remaned unit with the rebuilders own tag on it with a serial number. I called them to find out what type of Diff. it is but they were not wanting to tell me. My question is, does the Vin. tell you what axles are in a truck? I think it may be a Meritor but not sure.
VIN will tell you assuming the suspension or rear ends haven’t been changed. Any good rebuilder can identify it to exchange it for you. Is there a legible tag on the front diff? If you know what it is, that info will identify the rear diff.
The little triangle piece on top the dash 3 screws take it off under there is a tag that will tell you what they are if they havent been swaped
Why would anyone swap drives in a sterling?
Why would anyone swap drives in a sterling? But with that, about 95% possibility Meritor 20/40-145.
Good pictures of the front and rear diff, and someone here will be able to identify it. Pictures of the housing tag would be nice, there's usually 2. Jacking up the rear and spinning a tire , while counting revolutions of the axle/wheel and the drive line will give you the rear ratio.
Or. * https://dimnsa.com/catalogos/descargas/PB9147%20Eje%20Motriz%20RT40.pdf
If it's Eaton the front drive housing will more than likely have a bolted cover on backside instead of welded. * https://www.redramgear.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/eaton-ds405-specifications-guide.pdf
N Not swapping to a different axle. The rear diff is torn up and needs replacement.
I found out it is a Meritor. Attached is a photo of the tag on the axle.
My point was--the replies before me saying if possibly swapped, I'm not implying your going to swap it. Just what I thought you would find, Meritor/Rockwell, the primary for Ford/Sterling. * But that is a housing tag, you need the tag on center drive unit. Or look through the description in link I posted #7.
Easy on the sterlings TS some of us like them!!!!!
I didn't Dis anything, make fun of, poke a stick at. But if a Sterling had a Two Stroke well that's two strikes.
Ha that would be a sight if the op was close id tell him he could have the rears out of the roll over
It's always the wrong tag, the one you need will be knocked off. It's easiest for me to look at the front diff for a visual identification. The 20-145's have a real sharp square casting at the top/front area .
As depicted on page 3 of this link. * https://dimnsa.com/catalogos/descargas/PB9147%20Eje%20Motriz%20RT40.pdf
Thanks for the tips and information. I called Weller and gave them their serial number and they have one in stock Jacksonville Fl. As soon as I get the old one out I can call them and they will deliver next day. Sorry I didn't catch your pun Truck Stop, but I get it.
The cab rattle and the engine rattle will cancel each other out for a smooth ride
Shining like a 18 year old penny
I've never seen that grill on a Sterling before. It looks good. Too bad Ford quit making big trucks. I think the Aeromax was one of the best looking trucks on the market. Freightliner should have kept the Ford designs like the Aeromax and LTL too. I thought Ford trucks were pretty popular.
That ones custom this is what it had this hood /grill was only used in 08
I think you can see design transfer from the Sterling to the current Freightliner 114sd's Considering what Freightliner was building in 2008, the new stuff looks more like "Sterling" than "Freightliner" to me.
I never spotted that before id have to say your right⁰
Although It looks as though,, there is really no other designs/modification direction to head to. Similar yes, is it shocking no. Every truck manufacture has just about used up the bin of new design ideas, only so much can be done with a set back axle or even standard cab/hood/grille creations and stuff just keeps looking the same. It's like a house, only so many practical designs, what's unique to one isn't to the mass.
Do look more like Sterling but still not as nice as as the Aeromax or other Fords. The Freightliners don't look like as heavy duty of trucks. They look light weight more comparable to Ford F series or GM Topkick medium duty trucks. Maybe they are pretty decent trucks though?? Compact can be good.
Well--the fact sterling was reignited 1997 and extinguished in 2010 by Daimler AG. Designed under Freightliner---it's going to have a Freightliner look. But looks are very deceiving and are changed by just adding a wider/thicker looking grille surround and headlight doors. Which is a great trick in mock up for grabbing consumer attention. Which proves turds can be polished, many in the industry felt it was a move to revive without any real motives of sustaining. * The cat truck is another example, of manufacturing in a crowded market with 4 main companies offering lots of models, no need.
Have you had to prop up the dash with 2x4s yet? If not, the day will come.
Caterpillar built their own truck for one reason, and one reason only. To try an recoup some of the millions they spent on fines producing OTR engines. I could be wrong, but when they released their trucks, there was only one manufacturer that would still install a Cat in a new class 8 truck, and that was Paccar.
No this one has all the updated supports and such and i did some extra work it is probably the nicest sterling dash aside from the new aftermarket ones there is it helps that it only has about 480000 miles on it too
Somehow I doubt that, and if so it stacked up two disasters. It was some bad marketing ideas from the top. First year for Cat CT660 was March 2011, Last Cat engine installed by PacCar was Jan 2007.
Did paccar ever install any of the sdp/lee emissons cats the Sterling is a 08 with a lee/c13
Does yours have the Freightliner gauges? I was thinking the real late production ones had a slightly different dash and same gauge cluster as the Freightliners of the same era.
Yes its different then the 01 we has and its all can bus for engine stuff where the 01 was oil line and a seprate temp sensor
Can't answer that.
Here's a low mile Sterling test truck for sale on FB, Salem Ore. *
I have already replaced the dash. I shook itself apart so replaced with a fiberglass replacement.