Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticker price

Aceofspades · 2022-05-26 21:21

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a mini excavator. I'm not asking for specifics, but from preliminary talks with dealers, they are getting msrp for their units. Based on availability, I can believe that. On the other hand, I don't want to pay more than I have to. Has anyone bought a machine since everything went crazy? Are people paying msrp? Thank you.

Replies37
  1. #1Aceofspades2022-05-27 21:50

    So I'm taking the silence as nobody wants to fess up to paying msrp lol.

  2. #2keif2022-05-28 08:44

    Most dealers I've talked to don't even have machines to sell and there is a waiting list. Pay what they ask or someone else will is name of the game right now.

  3. #3Aceofspades2022-05-28 09:18

    Thank you, that's what I understood to be the case. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

  4. #4John C.2022-05-28 11:08

    It takes time for people to find a post read it and then compose a response. I can speak of one of my clients bidding on a 2006 JLG six ton telehandler, with 6,000 hours on the clock, on Iron Planet on Wednesday. We figured around $40K. Machine went for $75,000. Turns out I have a friend who works for a Cat dealer that quoted new one out for just shy of $200K recently.

  5. #5PeterG2022-05-28 12:49

    I don't think any dealer is going to "give you a good price" unless you're a business that buys tons of equipment from them. Not only is the MSRP expensive, but the added cost for a thumb or buckets can add up way too much additional cost for the machine. Plenty of homeowners buy a new machine, and then get rid of it a few years later with very low hours (like under 600 hours). That may be your best option to find. I've bought new and used, and currently own three mini excavators. Two machines I bought used, and one machine I bought new. Don't be afraid to buy out of State. Some pricing on used units can still be found, that even buying it site unseen, paying for shipping, and budgeting $5000 for maintenance when you get it, can still be the best deal.

  6. #6Gary Layton2022-05-28 13:11

    I bought a new Takeuchi TB370 last July 2021. My goal before that was to buy a 260...12K machine to run my new Rockhound mulcher. No 260's were available..at least a 6 month wait. My local dealer had a new 370 out front of the store...only one exc to show. Long story short, I bought it, paid what they asked because it would do what I wanted and there were not any others to buy. Other dealers wanted his demo unit for their site, I was lucky to get it. We made sure it would track onto our 24K trailer and that cinched the deal.

  7. #7Gary Layton2022-05-28 13:12

    2 more picts -- first day at its new home.

  8. #8Aceofspades2022-05-28 13:51

    Jerk . That 370 is pretty new to the market right? How are you liking it? I read it has a lot more aux flow. Any issues with it yet? Thanks.

  9. #9Gary Layton2022-05-28 14:22

    We are liking it fine. First exc for us so we are easy to please...amazed at what they can do. I am glad the situation forced me to get the 15K instead of the planned 12K. Running the mulcher head works well. No issues so far. I'll see if this link works to take you to a lot of picts of some projects we have done so far....using it at our farm in S. GA. https://garylayton.smugmug.com/Takeuchi-TB370/Things-excavators-can-do/n-JTtMwN/

  10. #10Gary Layton2022-05-28 14:25

    Here is a video I put together to help generate some work for the excavator.

  11. #11Gary Layton2022-05-28 14:28

    We have used it a lot in S. GA at the farm to break beaver dams, drain our 20-acre pond for renovation, mulching canals, dams, explore an old (pre-Civil War) mill site on our farm that no one knew was there, etc. Lots of picts of those doings if someone wants to see.

  12. #12keif2022-05-28 22:10

    Im jealous. I wanted one of those and priced it but was afraid to spend that much for the business not being totally sure I'd have the work for it.

  13. #13Aceofspades2022-05-28 22:23

    I can't swing that machine, but it looks sweat. I'm jealous too. Having that aux flow would be nice, for one thing. I'm trying to swing a tb260 or a kx-057. I'm scared lol.

  14. #14Aceofspades2022-05-28 22:29

    I can't pay cash for anything that I want to buy. I've paid cash for used equipment, if I buy one more piece of used equipment, I won't get around to any jobs, I'll just do a cycle of fixing one thing after the other and never make it to any jobs lol. I'm sure there are deals out there if you can pay for something that new in cash. For my purposes (financing) new is going to be simpler, and probably as cheap.

  15. #15zeroo2022-05-29 10:12

    I’ve been in the market to upgrade to a bigger machine (u48 from a kx040) and have several dealers with “deals” on the table. One gave me an incredible deal on a machine they had on order for months, so I focused on it. It came in last week and the salesman is not as enthusiastic, kinda ghosting me. It was previously ordered for stock but he put my name on it because he said they seem to be filling customer ordered units first. He originally priced the unit at $70500. Cab unit with thumb/24 bucket and angle blade. Also has the 2 auxinllary lines to stick. So $70500 and $55k trade in for my 040 with cab/thumb/angle blade and 220 hr. Now the deal is the same except $54k for my machine. Problem is he is slow to respond and cant give me a time when he can have machine ready(pdi/thumb install). I never put a deposit down cause I just didnt want to be locked into waiting for a specific machine so machine is actively for sale I guess. It was on order for 6 months and I dont think they really want the machine to go that far under msrp. I see similar units for sale for $75-$79k on machinery trader. I’m not too worried about losing it. Economy looks iffy, my machine is good, and this is just a want, not a need. When I build this unit on kubota website msrp is $86k. All dealers I have price with is in the $71-$72k range.

  16. #16Aceofspades2022-05-29 10:26

    Thank you for that, that is the exact type of info I was curious about.

  17. #17T320FL2022-05-30 12:54

    I paid $75500 for my new 2021 KX057-5 with cab, thumb, and angle blade delivered to my door one year ago. Now I see them at about $90000 for the same setup. Have 300 hours now with no problems...yet, knock on wood.

  18. #18phil3142022-05-30 14:15

    We are living in a "IF you can find one, you pay what they are asking" time right now. Not exactly the same, but I just bought a 1.5 yr old F350 and payed close to msrp for it. That sucked. Orders for new 2022s closed at the end of March, so your only option right now is to buy used, and those prices are high. On the flip side, I sold my old truck, 2 old cars for way more than they were worth. So in the end, it was a wash price wise and I got what I wanted, so I'm going to call it a win.

  19. #19T320FL2022-05-30 19:15

    I really wanted to buy a low hour used machine but they were priced so close to the new ones that it made more sense to buy new with a warranty.

  20. #20CM19952022-05-30 20:06

    Ordered a '22 F350 in October for an OTD price right at MSRP which I thought wasn't bad with no deposit down, if I didn't want truck I'd let the dealer have it which they would've been happy to have it. From order in Oct 21 to delivery in May '22 there was one price increase of around $1300 but Ford/dealer held the agreed price on delivery. I could've flipped the truck for $15K or more however I needed a new truck. Selling my old truck which is a '18 F350 with 70K miles that I can damn near get what I paid for it. It just made business sense to trade up with how the market is. Last year we bought a new D3 and paid "MSRP", whatever that is at the local dealer. Surprisingly enough the purchase price was well within normal inflation to what we paid for our D5G back in 2004. Looking back it was a smart move for us with money being so cheap to borrow at the time and finding new machines a challenge. The southeast has some of the cheapest Cat pricing set from Cat Corp. since the market is so competitive, at least that's what my salesman told me. Over the years of buying equipment I've seen where used machines out west or in the northeast were for sale for more than I could buy new. Take that with a grain of salt.

  21. #21Rihpper2022-05-31 14:39

    I bought a new CAT309 at the end of last year for well under MSRP and what I thought was a great price. But I’m not sure that I still could.

  22. #22Shea McPherson2022-06-03 07:36

    We decided that we really wanted to have a mini around the property and then to branch out into work. We priced a 057-5 from two different dealers within a couple of hours from us. Close to a 10k difference in price. Cab, angle blade, dual hydraulics, quick attach, and a VMC 48" rotary cutter came in at 91k with taxes. Now we're just waiting for it.

  23. #23Aceofspades2022-06-03 08:18

    Any idea when you will get it?

  24. #24Shea McPherson2022-06-03 09:14

    Ordered it in March. Salesperson said the computer has a date of July 22. He also said that once it passes that delivery date it doesn't say it's late. I'm not fighting over it. If I don't get it the next guy who asks about one will own it. It'll be roughly 4.5 months if it shows up at that time.

  25. #25Aceofspades2022-06-04 06:41

    Ugh, i went around yesterday and talked to some people. Kubota said I probably won't get a 57 this year, and by the time they can get me one the price will go up (I talked to them months ago, and got put on a list. At the time I told them I wasnt ready. I hadn't heard anything from them in a while so i asummed I wasn't REALLY on the list. Nope, i'm on there, just really far down). Takeuchi said they are no longer able to order machines, or take deposits, they are supposedly getting some news Monday about how things are going to work going forward. The yanmar salesman wasn't there. I called and left him a voice mail but haven't heard back. The Deere people said I could probably get a 60G in November for 89.9k before tax, fees, with no bucket or thumb!, so over 100k out the door... wife convinced me to go by cat, and as you can imagine, a 306 was even more, but possibly available in July. These prices are WAY higher than I was expecting.

  26. #26Gary Layton2022-06-04 17:55

    Sorry to see things unfolding this way. Turbulent times for sure.

  27. #27spib2022-07-15 18:39

    I paid 500 deposit to get on the waiting list for a Deere 30G on March 1, expected delivery May 26. Obtained machine on July 11. Paid, with JD made in Mexico thumb and bucket, 44144 plus tax.

  28. #28Rihpper2022-07-16 02:39

    Was that a discount off of MSRP?

  29. #29Shea McPherson2022-07-16 08:03

    Was wondering if you'd had any luck yet? Drove by a Kubota dealer near Boone, NC a couple of weeks ago. He had a 57 on the lot waiting to be delivered and a 40 with no name on it. Asked how long on a 57 if ordered. He, I believe optimistically, replied 6 weeks approximately.

  30. #30spib2022-07-16 09:54

    I think so. I got a quote in Aug 21 for a machine on the lot ready to go that showed a suggested list of 48179 + 1899 + 756, with a selling price of 39767 + 1899 + 756. Tax extra. Salesman said that in the past, price hikes are in November. When I ordered March 1, there was no suggested list on the purchase order, the machine was up to 41488 with the extras unchanged. There are very few new 30G listed on machinery trader, all for 51900. When the machine arrived at the dealer, they did not call me. I drive past the dealer pretty often, and one day (june 16) saw a boom sticking up; it was the 30G. They (salesman and store manager) said that although the next 30G that came in was mine, they didnt know if machine in the front yard was mine or not because of their "paperwork" but that they also had the bucket and thumb so that would not be a hold up and would call me when they sorted it out. I figured they either screwed up their order book, or they had a big customer who wanted it. I went back on July 6 and saw it still there with grass growing up over the tracks, and was probably visibly angry when I told the reception person (sales staff not there) in the calmest voice I could that either the machine gets on my trailer or deposit is refunded. She produced the store manager who said yes that is yours we will get it greased and bucket and thumb installed and call you. And they did. Anyone who has read this far may be rolling their eyes at this old man with the coolest new toy ever. Sure does look like a seller's market.

  31. #31Aceofspades2022-07-17 08:25

    That's weird. I still haven't heard back from the Kubota dealer on the 57. I went to a competing Kubota dealer to see what they had to say, and it was the same thing (they couldn't get one any time soon). Between availability, and price (when I first started I was expecting to pay ~20k less than what is currently realistic), I took it as a sign and gave up for now. I'm just going to rent for now. I think I missed the window to get one at a price that I can live with. I'm sorry there wasn't a more exciting conclusion to the thread. I appreciate all the replies.

  32. #32zeroo2022-07-17 09:33

    I ended up getting this for the deal listed. The -5 series is really nice, lots of small cab updates. Very quiet compared to the 040. Cant hardly tell idle from wide open. Sealed cab and better air filtration, and lots more room, but not sure if its because the machine is a little bigger.

  33. #33Shea McPherson2022-07-17 09:43

    I would say to not give up. If it weren't for the terrain I live in the 40 would have been chosen. The extra weight was what we wanted for stability. Evaluate everything you want/need and then remove everything that you want to do realistically, 1-2 times a year unless there is a huge financial upside. We're waiting on our 57-5. Everything I see says that cab is much better than the -4. We have a lot of work to do here and then hopefully branch into paying stuff. Everyone I know and one in particular, who seems to be right at every step, told me to be prepared to up my timeline on leaving the job I do now and upgrading to a c&c with a flatbed. I kinda hope he's right, but that's down the road. Nice machine by the way.....what trailer are you using? Shea

  34. #34zeroo2022-07-17 09:46

    Didnt see this, i believe there are deals to be had but you would have to travel.

  35. #35zeroo2022-07-17 09:58

    Its a diamond c deck over. 14900 gvwr. I scaled 25180 as pictured. Trailer axles carrying 14400.

  36. #36KSSS2022-07-17 10:14

    I have a Diamond C gooseneck 32'. Really nice trailers.

  37. #37Shea McPherson2023-01-17 08:52

    Yes it's been awhile. I got a call Friday evening that my machine had mysteriously showed up. No delivery/shipping/tracking/manifest information ever came up on their computers, they weren't expecting it. A truck showed up Friday after lunch. The price has gone up, I expected that. I am no longer getting the VMC cutter, just a Fecon head. Hope to be able to pick it up next week. That makes it ten months since we ordered it.