Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

sticking friction’s

orville ยท 2011-03-05 17:52

My uncle operated a Northwest dragline on Guam back in the early 50's while a sea bee. I would bet that a lot if not all equipment back then used friction's to swing the house. Too keep the friction lining from sticking to the drum they would use olive oil on the drum if the machine was to sit for a long period of time. I have not tried it on my C-450 Bantam but should have. I had trouble with my friction's sticking all the time until I realized I had rust between the shoes and lining. Once I got rid of the rust and put on new lining I have not had a problem, I might run a little more clearance than I should though. Anybody use olive oil on friction's? Anybody have any thoughts on using olive oil?

Replies9
  1. #1RDG2011-03-06 02:51

    Never heard of using olive oil but I remember an old Irish man who used to drive a dragline for us years ago used to get baby powder and sprinkle it on the clutches and brakes to give them a softer feel. Cheers RDG.

  2. #2John C.2011-03-06 19:23

    I used to go the nearest pharmacy and get a tin of Fuller's Earth. It would clean off the rust and dry out any oil that got on the drum. Worked like a dream.

  3. #3orville2011-03-06 21:43

    I can see where you would not want any petrolum lubricants on the drums. I was thinking that olive oil was not a lubricant, just something that would prevent the lining and drum from sticking to each other when the machine sits idle for a long period of time out in the weather.

  4. #4Buckethead2011-03-06 22:15

    I know lots of crane operators that use Fullers Earth on the frictions. Never heard of the olive oil thing, though.

  5. #5tuney4432011-03-08 09:22

    I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts Fluid Film would be the cat's azz for this.Nothing better for sticking metal and rust prevention.I use it on just about everything--buy it by the 12 pack case. Lanolin--industrial wool wax with NO solvents whatsoever and smells great also. http://www.fluid-film.com/images/home_showcase_01.jpg

  6. #6trakloader2011-04-23 03:34

    Fluid Film + Frictions = Disaster. Frictions are the same as brakes. You don't put ANYTHING slippery on them! Unless you're in the military, of course, where Uncle Sam will buy you new lining.

  7. #7tuney4432011-04-23 10:41

    Yes,trakloader,I must have had one of those senior moments when I wrote that,as you are correct.No Fluid Film on the frictions.If my X wife complains about squealing brakes however-------all bets are off.lol

  8. #8mitch5042011-04-23 11:54

    My brother-in-law has run draglines since the 50's, he uses vinegar for slipping frictions, and baby powder for grabbing ones.

  9. #9tuney4432011-04-23 12:16

    Balsamic or unadulterated? Anyway,I could see vinegar being real good there.My Dad used to come home dead ass tired from rassling those huge levers on old iron.He used to say he would give Jack LaLane a workout if he was ever brave enough to get in one of those old crane houses with a giant Murphy engine in July.