Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stone 4000 stiff steering

special tool ยท 2009-09-13 20:32

Stone 4000 has tight steering and new pump. Has always been very well maintained/greased. Any suggestions?

Replies10
  1. #1willie592009-09-13 20:46

    As in very hard turning wheel to turn roller? Does it have seperate pumps for drive and equipment? Or just one pump to operate drive, steer, and vibrate (if it does that)?

  2. #2special tool2009-09-13 21:09

    One main pump.:crying

  3. #3willie592009-09-13 21:14

    Wait a minute...you missed the other question; "As in wheel hard to turn..." Using one pump to operate all functions, my first guess would be a faulty priority flow divider that divides oil flow to allow operation of steer and other hyd functions at the same time.

  4. #4special tool2009-09-13 21:20

    Yeah - its hard to turn, especially when stopped. I was hoping I could fix it with my 10 pound sledge tomorrow....what do you think??

  5. #5willie592009-09-13 21:35

    Unless it has some weird hyd system like I can't imagine, my first suspect would be a priority flow divider. What was the reason for pump replacement?

  6. #6special tool2009-09-14 19:39

    I don't know - no chance to mess with it today. Was in the road trying not to get run over by rich people with poor values. Need to fix it by next week, well don't NEED to, but my arms will be happier. Could maybe be air bound from new pump, maybe?? Crack the line at the motor? Watcha think??

  7. #7willie592009-09-14 19:44

    Well, you only mentioned it has a steering problem, so I assume the drive works fine. If it only has one pump to operate all functions, then the drive working would indicate pump and lines are Ok.

  8. #8willie592009-09-14 19:51

    I went to the Stone website to see if we could get any info and, darn it, nothing there. Can't get a hyd schematic at website. :Banghead It would help to have a schematic.

  9. #9drad122009-10-06 13:51

    Worked for a stone dealer. Pump runs steering and vibrator. Priority is in pump. Specs are 4 gpm @ 50 psi & 1.5 @ 500. Also there is a 800 psi relief in steering circuit. If vibrator works I would suspect steering unit/relief. Hope that helps.

  10. #10Klotski2009-10-06 23:39

    If you want to get the serial number off the roller i can probably get you a hydraulic schematic for it. Paul