Thought it would be a good idea to store the equipment serial numbers of the machines I work on the most in my phone since the first question the dealer asks is. ... "What's the serial number"
I shipped a tilt cylinder for a d8h to the cat house for a rebuild. Three or four days went by so I figured I'd call and check on it. .... They hadn't started on it......said it was in the wash bay now..... before he said goodbye he said. ..."by the way. ..What's the serial number? "
I use the Notes app on my iPhone. Serial numbers, filter numbers and fluid capacity for my iron. It's handy to have that info when ordering parts and service items.
I've been doing the same thing on my iPhone & iPad for a couple of yrs now, CM …… including any services, filter numbers, etc. …….. "WAY TOO HANDY" makes me wonder what we'd do with out it ….. LOL As the OP posted …… it never fails , "They'll Ask For The Serial Number" ……………... Now where did I put My Note Pad …. LOL
Used to have the holy grail of note books with serials, filter numbers, service date and hours, the lot. Now it's a few photographs of ID tags etc, all on my iPhone, by some crazy wizardry it is then on my ipad and macbook. Damn, times have come along!
LOL !!!………. wizardry called the "Cloud" ……… and "I LOVE IT" ……………….. Haha !
I hung on to my dumb phone for way too long. my iphone is handier than pockets on a shirt, which just happens to be where I keep my phone!
Yes it's nice to have serial numbers filters and such in iPhone. Customer calls up need on on unit such and such or belt broke ect. Can look info up instead of digging through note book driving to job to get info. I would be Llosa wiithout mine. Lost with out mine
I wouldn't have an iPhone if you gave it to with a years paid phone bill. I love my android lol but I do the same thing. I have a time clock on my phone that via cloud sends my times, job #, and description to an Excell spread sheet. Now if I can just remember to turn it off and on lol. Did a job a few weeks so ago on a Friday and forgot to shut it off when I left. I dint think it takes 52hrs to take a drive motor off of a skid steer lol Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
i find and take pictures of serial number tags, way easier than entering into notepad which i also use. especially when working on engines, transmissions and hydraulic pumps when things get complicated they will ask for some other random number on that tag and i have a picture of it so i can just take a look at it on the iphone while talking to them on speaker. best thing since sliced bread? or handier than a pocket on a shirt? couldn't tell you but pretty darn nice.................TIO i got it, better than the suck bucket!!! LMHO.....TIO
LMAO, now that's damn funny. :falldownlaugh But I'm pretty confident saying this...the hi tech Iphone will never take the place of the suck bucket.
Hmmmm ???? ….. I wouldn't go there Willie ! …… I think on the iPhone you can Find something that'll Suck a lot harder than a "Suck-Bucket" ……. LOL !!!
IPhone stays next to my heart all day for that reason too. I take pictures of a lot of job related stuff.
i find pictures work the best. i have a spreadsheet i made up on my phone also for a reference. but i take pictures of everything i work on and any tag i come across
I use pictures too but it does become a time consuming task of scrolling through them to get the information you need. Typing regularly used part numbers in a note app makes it easier to retrieve them.
Been thinking about getting a smart phone but have allways thought Id break the screen from working on equipment "no not selfies although that could happen I guess" but from crawling around inside or over a machine how do you do it, leave it in the truck or toolbox ect.ect. and one other reason is being able to take credit cards right then as a lot of customers have started wanting to pay that way at the job site, do any of you do that and hows it working for you being able to swipe it right there. We have never done credit cards just billed the customer or they wrote a check if we didn't know them.
It took me a year to convince my wife that we needed a credit card machine in the office/scale house best thing since sliced bread cuts out all the B.S. if they can't give you a credit card they don't have any money to pay there's no excuses check's in the mail,i'll bring it by ect,ect. no credit card no workey:nono:nono
The nice thing about smart phones, particuarly the popular smartphones, is that there are a bunch of excellent cases for them that are great at protecting them. I've been using and carrying a smart phone for about three years now and I've broken one, and that was because I was he-manning an old Kenmore stove into my house by myself (including unloading it from the truck and wrestling it up onto the porch) and it fell and smashed against my pants pocket where my phone was, and I did not have a case for it at the time. So far for me it's survived the slings and arrows of welding/fab work, working on cars, and firefighting.
No matter what phone/case you have it is still no match for a pc400 lol. It fell out of its little holster as I was climbing into the cab and wound up under a track. I usually set mine down on the back of my truck when I am working so I can plug it into my Milwaukee radio for music and when it rings it goes through the radio's speakers so I can almost always hear it. I see that IPhone has a pretty big following with you guys but I don't know how they stay together for you. I had one (OK like 4 or 5) for a year because I had to wait for my contract before I got a different phone and then I went to android and have never looked back. I phones have such a limited selection (1 phone) but with android there are dozens to choose from and all of the apps are geared towards windows computers. If you have a mac computer is one thing but for a normal pc I love my Samsung noteII. The only disadvantage is one of the biggest advantages and that is the size. The screen on this is huge which is great for looking up parts and anything else for that matter but it is soo big that with an otter box case it won't fit in a pocket so I have been running case free for about a year now and the screen isn't even scratched, but to each his own that is just my preference Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I have spreadsheets on my PC that list Equip #'s, machine serial #'s, component serial #'s, vin #'s, all my filter lists, common wear part #'s, common hose build specs, all my teeth/edge #'s and so on. They are my go to for quick info. When I finally got a smart phone I put them all in a google dropbox so I could access/change them on the road. Sometimes I really love tech even though I'm slow to figure it out.
My phone has a "remember" App that you can store pictures in attach files and emails all under a customers name. If a customer gets a new machine I just open his file and snap a picture of the vin plate and save. It is a beautiful thing. No more searching for pics. I also use it on disassembly taking pictures and adding notes for reassembly if I'm working on something I don't have a manual for or have never worked on before.
yes they are great for taking pics during disassembly,always think ill rember but never do. Has any one found a good app to keep machine numbers into?
Screw technology. It's bad enough having a machine tell "you" when it's supposed to be serviced let alone fuss with a phone that does everything. The new dodge rams start with a push button, but your keys need to be in the truck. Totally digital dash. I've about had it. Remember when mechanics worked on mechanical stuff? No sensors, no ecm's- Just levers and linkage. Somebody please take me back to 1967.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I am going to look that up. It would work great for project files and pics as well.
One thing with I phones is that if you have a file that has an option to open in "Ibooks" and you open it there, it saves automatically to your phone and is readily accessible with or without service. I use mine for manuals, contracts, an electronic copy of my companies vehicle insurance.
Case has a free app where you can store all of your case machines, even pull up parts and email to your dealer the list.
I can't shout enough good words about the lifeproof range of a cases for apple products. I've had and broken most phones, even the basic so called tough phones. About 18months ago I reluctantly made the move to an iPhone 4S, and started going through cases. Many cases later... The very same iPhones still going unbroken. Fully waterproof, dust proof, the lot. In a quarry working six days hard, I got the best out of a case in six months, then replaced it. The dust scratches the hell out of the screen cover. Check them out. http://www.lifeproof.com/
Well I sent out tilt cylinder to the friendly neighborhood cat house. A 1972 d8h gave them the serial number. Well the blade has a serial number on it too. Who knew.....how many tilt cylinders could there be.... Well I guess they got it figured out.