Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Straps to secure equipment.

BIGDAN315 · 2008-02-01 13:49

Does any one know if ratchet straps are legal in NY state to bind equipment? I picked up 4 - 4 inch straps with winches and thought of using them on my equipment trailer.

Replies8
  1. #1tuney4432008-02-01 21:28

    I would most definitely go to the DOT's site for confirmation on that.Not sure.

  2. #2NateV2008-02-01 21:37

    Im not sure if there legal or not but we use all chains. The only thing we would use straps for is like some kind of attachment but most of the time we put chians on them too.

  3. #3Grader4me2008-02-02 06:21

    Despite section 22, a heavy vehicle with crawler tracks or wheels shall be restrained against moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically by at least 4 tiedowns, (a) each with a working load limit of at least 2 268 kilograms, heavy vehicle” (véhicule lourd) means (i) a vehicle that weighs more than 4 500 kilograms, or (ii) equipment or machinery that operates on wheels or tracks and weighs more than 4 500 kilograms 100 mm (4 in) 1810 kg (4000 lb.) is the WLL for straps The 4'' strap would not give you the WLL required for securing heavy equipment. On edit..with equipment less than 4,500 kilograms straps would be okay as far as I know. I also think that these NSC rules apply to all states.

  4. #4BIGDAN3152008-02-02 17:09

    Hey thanks, So I gather they would be ok on my mini ex which is 9000 lbs just under the 4500 kilograms or 9920 lb max right?

  5. #5Grader4me2008-02-02 18:56

    You would be under the weight for "heavy vehicle" so you would fall under the requirements for "light vehicle" so I think you would be okay. Now having said that, I want you to know that this is what I understand the regulations to say. Although it looks clear cut, my advise would be to contact your local Commercial Vehicle Enforcement office. Best to cover all bases

  6. #6stumpjumper832008-02-06 20:54

    check to see if the straps are rated by the dot. If no dot stamp, they are not aproved for load binding.

  7. #7BIGDAN3152008-02-07 08:39

    Ok I will do that and thanks..

  8. #87AXLES2008-04-02 19:25

    What kind of equipment do you want to use a ratchet strap on....like a generator or welder......not trackloader or backhoe, right??