You might remember the pictures I posted of our D6D a little back. I happened to find some pictures from one of the highlights of this dozer's working career. Late one winter night back in 2004 this dozer was clearing snow around the chip piles at the sawmill in Elko, B.C. The operator did a left turn when all forms of movment stopped. He was trying to figure out what the heck was going on when he noticed the flailing powerlines. Somehow the operator had managed to hook his ripper on one of the powerpoles that supplied power to half the sawmill! It was stuck there for about a week before they could replace the pole.
That is brilliant....
"hey,....hey... What's going on...... Let me go"
A new ground wire.Thats only a couple hours from my place.Last year I sub contracted for altalink planting those poles in the mountains so I know that was probably an expensive strike.
Aww heck our power poles lean more then that all the time. Just a shap right turn and WOT in 3rd and reverse it'd been fine.....probably.
man, that is just plain funny.
Yeah, it was kind of funny--thats why I took the photos. No one was hurt, so it was worth a good laugh. The machine wasn't stuck there for a week--it was more like 12 weeks, until the ground melted and they could get another pole dug in before releasing this one. Har! We sure never dreamed that we would be buying this machine and end up owning our very own portable power pole holder!! J.
Sounds like they were punishing you,frost never stopped us when we planted poles but we also used a hammer on the john deere.
Luckily, I cannot take any blame at all for that hookup. I don't work at that millsite--just happened to be there at the right time to record some acute embarassment. Besides, I'd get in sh...er trouble if I hopped on a machine. I'm on the wrong side of the fence!! :tong Yeh, it could have been done a lot sooner--but hiring a hoe with a hammer costs money. Its cheaper to wait for mother nature and then do the job with the little plant hoe (ancient JD 550) and an outside line contractor. There ain't as much margin in sawing logs as there is in the power business!! J.
lucky no one got hurt,one thing i learned is you dont lean on a power pole with your body,or the guy wires.You could get electrocuted as there is a ground wire on the older poles and the power lines allways leak,when you hear insulators buzzing,thats a bad thing,thats power not going through the lines.even when the lines are disconnected and grounded the static build up from the wind is still enough to hurt you.
In the 2nd picture you linked, the operator sitting on the left blade bar mount does not look like they've missed many meals......
Wow that looks cool... Now I want to jam a huge pole on my D8N and stick a big flag on top and cruise the hood...s
Yeah, he sure looks like he wolfs them dow- Hey! That's me!
That's another type of farm Cat on the farm Cat brush rake brace--the biological kind. She has laid weasels and bush rats at our back door. Not an ounce of fat on that girl--built like a brick shzthouse. She has a natural short tail--must be some Manx somewhere in her background. She's a killing machine. J.