Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck flat-faced coupler

Boreal ยท 2022-12-27 18:52

I'm used to these things giving me issues -- especially freezing but I haven't had this happen before. Any ideas on why this coupler is stuck in this position? I've even successfully attached it to the machine and removed it again and it still only goes to this position. I tried warming it with the heat gun but it didn't help.

Replies17
  1. #1willie592022-12-27 19:11

    Replace them. In most cases that's caused by brinelling of the detent balls and the mating surfaces. Basically means they're worn out and time to replace them.

  2. #2Boreal2022-12-27 20:16

    I'll do that. They're barely 14 months old. I guess nothing is made to last anymore

  3. #3willie592022-12-27 20:31

    Impact pulses from attachment hydraulics causes that, some are worse than others, such as hydraulic breakers, flat face couplers don't like breakers at all.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-12-27 20:57

    On standard couplers the balls get worn and it can reduce flow in addition to making them more difficult to couple.

  5. #5KSSS2022-12-27 21:24

    just take a rubber mallet and hit the end of it. It will bounce back. If I replaced them every time they stuck like that I would need a continues supply.

  6. #6Boreal2022-12-27 22:01

    These are on my snowblower. I wouldn't think of that pulsating at least not like a hammer. These were Faster brand. Are there better brands or are those good?

  7. #7willie592022-12-27 22:13

    Faster has been around for years, I wouldn't say they're junk. Myself, I used Stucchi couplers back when I was working on machines, but I can't confirm they're any better.

  8. #8Shimmy12022-12-27 22:26

    Same here. I just bang it few times and usually it behaves.

  9. #9Boreal2022-12-28 08:42

    Yeah, I've tried the usual tappy-tap but this time it seems more stuck. I even applied pressure through the other end and it still didn't move. Maybe I forced it on too hard last time and damaged it. I do remember it being quite the pain recently.

  10. #10KSSS2022-12-28 13:44

    It is likely time then to **** can it. I haven't noticed any brand lasting longer than another.

  11. #11f311fr12023-01-01 19:40

    a good source is Summit Hydraulics in Colorado

  12. #12CM19952023-01-01 20:00

    X2. You can beat if back out but from my experience just replace it like Willie said because it's just starting to give you problems and will give you hell in the worst moment. You said this was a snowblower so you kinda need it when you need it. Had to replace one on a our newer 279D, out of warranty of course.

  13. #13Long02023-01-02 16:22

    I had a similar issue yesterday hooking up a snowplow to my rubber tire backhoe. Small amount of heat from a handheld propane torch cleared everything up. Andy

  14. #14uptight excavating2023-01-02 20:17
  15. #15uptight excavating2023-01-02 20:21

    If it is just a bit of ice the torch will fix it. Otherwise reread Willey 59 post. He is dead on with his accessment. I have changed many pairs of couplings.

  16. #16cuttin edge2023-01-05 19:02

    The fittings on the hammer for the backhoe used to do that. We just put the male and female ends together when the hammer wasn't on the machine.

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-01-05 21:46

    That's a good way to keep dirt out when attachments are sitting in the yard.