My operator got my D8k stuck in the mud today!
I would say drop ripper and the blade, get the track off the ground, and chunk some timber under it. But...where's the blade?
you can still run a 8k in California?
That dirt behind the left track looks fairly dry, is there a wet bog under the track? or a unseen hole ?
We have a C-frame with a tree digger on the front. We still run 8ks out here in the AG fields. Air pollution is easier on the AG stuff
Here it is when we got it out
Weld some new grouser bars on that old machine and this will probably never happen again in those conditions.
I think i have one up on you. We where ripping this job for a farmer that was going to plant walnuts. My operator calls be at 3:30 in the morning and says " I'm stuck and she's sinking". Come to find out there was a old Bentinite pound with 15 ft of topsoil put over it years ago. When the operator was backing up all of a sudden the back end fell through. The Bentinite was still in a liquid state and it was 15 to 18 ft deep. Only thing that saved us was the blade was sitting on the hard topsoil cap. Later i found out the pond was 3 acres. You could see the ground role when we where trying to get it out.
No question - you have him beat.
I think you'd btter drain the trans oil after that one.
yeah op, pads like that and you will get stuck going up hill on grass on a rainy day... that machine needs a date with a welder and some grouser stock bad.
Next time leave two shanks in the ripper and pull yourself backwards. Is that the same machine with the loose transmission. How did you manage to find the only wet spot within a hundred miles of that orchard.
I hope you were able to charge that guy for the damage. A guy could end up dead in something like that.
I agree. That guy must be charge for what he have done. Based on the picture, I think he have done something awful to the machine.
You bet i did. Not only the trans. oil but engine oil, radiator had to be cleaned,finals flushed. The sos samples came back good on the trans. oil afterwards. 2 days of cleanup and $5000.00 cost we where back to work. "Just not on that job"
We where slip plowing at the time.. The center shank is 11ft and it was on the top hole with the drawbar all the way down it was touching the bottom of the pond. Thats the only thing that keep the machine from going the rest of the way under. The blade was holding the front of the machine up on a dirt bench that was floating on top of the Bentinite. So if I tried pulling backwards with the ripper it would have pulled the blade off of the dirt bench and then went all the way under. I got some more gray hair that week.
big iron, the op was who needed the ripper to get out, you on the other hand needed a magic carpet, or at least another 8 or two and a big excavator.
lol ya magic carpet would have been nice. As it was it took a 9 with a big winch to get it. We had 2 8s and a jd 9600 and all that did was break cables
You did that idiot a big favor but he's probably still ****#d at you. I would be worried sh$$less if I owned that parcel. His insurance company is going to deny coverage is someone is injured in that trap. I'll bet it's still there, covered over, unfenced and not posted. Sounds like a mud pit from an old drilling operation. Time to rewrite your contract to cover damages from loss of machinery in mud pits.
Your right... It's a 3 acre pond of old drilling mud covered with a 12 ft dirt cap over the top of it still unfenced and not posted. The pond had bentinite last put in it some 15 years ago. At that time it was thought to be 20 ft deep. Then 10 years ago the dirt cap was out over it. I'm always very careful about the USA underground reports to protect me from gas lines,fiber optic,etc,etc but how do you see something like this coming.