Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck injector washer

Cliffy · 2024-11-25 06:26

Got a big problem. Replacing injectors on a 1vd toyota Land Cruiser engine and 3 injector washers are stuck. Tried what I normally do, flicking out with a right angle pick and winding it out with a tap and a easy out. They are stuck fast. At this stage next step is to pull the head but im open to ANYTHING. Ideas? Its a V8 4.5 double over head cam engine. Dead set prick of a design.

Replies26
  1. #1Pony2024-11-25 06:53

    Tap the washer on one side with a pin punch? Obviously have to ensure nothing goes down the hole.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-11-25 09:03

    I’ve had good luck using a pointed scribe and scraping the outside edge (around and around) to release all the carbon..then hitting it with compressed air.. It sux, I know..

  3. #3Pony2024-11-26 21:59

    So did you get it out, or just chuck a match in it?

  4. #4Coaldust2024-11-26 22:32

    Lucky. Wish I had a diesel Toyota. Stuck washer, or not. You guys get all the cool stuff.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-11-26 22:51

    Stuck fast. Welded tap to a handle and wound it it but wont give. Have ordered a couple of pullers. First photo you can see where the tap bit into washer but didnt break loose.

  6. #6Cliffy2024-11-26 22:54

    They sound awesome with a straight through exhaust as well.

  7. #7Pony2024-11-26 23:50

    I still got the last of the factory turbo 6's (1HD-FTE), much better IMHO, especially with chip and straight through exhaust. And 6cyl rego.

  8. #8Cliffy2024-11-27 03:00

    Love the 1HDs. Just as much as XR’s. Unfortunately been a mid sized family run pastoral company, we have to turn our car and bike fleet over to keep them reliable. We held this ute too long and it cost us. Sweet spot is around 1000hrs on bikes, 150,000 on LVs.

  9. #9Vetech632024-11-27 07:54

    Nice clear fingerprints there. I'm going to use those on my $100 bill maker.

  10. #10Pony2024-11-29 06:34

    Ya jinxed me Cliffy. I was going to reply about how my ute older than yours hadn't let me down, talk a bit of smack. Well I'm sitting on the side of the road in Blackbutt, waiting for the missus to come get me with a car trailer. Heard and felt a strange noise, something rotating out of whack. Jacked a front wheel up and it's making a bad noise almost like loose steel rolling around inside and locks up after about 2.5 rotations, no play in wheel end and when rotating feela smooth, so guessing not bearings, almost like cv joint exploded, but has free wheeling hubs, so shouldn't be engaging. It's the best I can come up with now, 2130hrs, been going since 0500hrs. I'll see what's wrong when I get it home and pull it apart.

  11. #11Cliffy2024-11-29 15:47

    How did yo go pony? Sounds like wheel bearing failure to me.

  12. #12Pony2024-11-29 16:12

    Got home at 2am. Raining here atm, so having a bit of a lie in. It doesn't feel like wheel bearings, it spins smoothly, til it stops and there's no play. No heat either. All secrets will be revealed upon disassembly. Still want a Landcruiser Coaldust? I might know of a couple going cheap.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-11-29 16:32

    I don’t think I can get there from here. Broke down in BlackButt sounds like a good name for a song or something. I’m learning all sorts of things about Blackbutt, on the Google machine. I hear the Sausage King Cassoulet is the bees knees at the Blackbutt Bakery.

  14. #14Cliffy2024-11-29 16:54

    Ive had a similar issue before. Free wheel hub gear was sticking (wasnt fully getting pulled out by springs) It would occasionally engage on the axle and make a horrible grinding noise. Took me a bit to figure that one out.

  15. #15Pony2024-11-29 17:12

    Now ya got me doing it, I had to google Cassoulet. My turn. I don't know about the Sausage King Cassoulet, but the maggot bags certainly are pretty good at the afore mentioned bakery.

  16. #16Pony2024-11-29 17:46

    I think I may have found it, obviously missed it in the dark last night. Also explains metallic sound, collapsed cv joint would be covered in grease and shouldn't be noisy. Now to pull it off and see why it failed.

  17. #17Tones2024-11-29 18:49

    Blackbutt is also home for the Argent family who complete in the Stihl Timber Sports series that you may have seen on TV.

  18. #18monkeyswrench2024-11-29 21:16

    On stuck injector washers, I've been using gun brushes and solvent. Try to remove what carbon you can, use a slotted screw driver and tap while twisting. Then use a barrel brush that pushes into the washer and lube with solvent. I keep a Hoppes Kit from Walmart in my box for them now.

  19. #19Pony2024-11-30 02:27

    Sorry for the hijack Cliffy, but might as well update my woes in case it helps someone in the future. Looks like bolts holding the rotor to the hub simply backed themselves out and were catching on themselves and the stub axle bolts. Lucky I caught it when I did otherwise it would have chewed a lot more up.

  20. #20Cliffy2024-11-30 03:21

    Can’t really blame Toyota for that one.

  21. #21Cliffy2024-12-08 02:18

    Got the bastards. Found another use for crows foot as well.

  22. #22Pony2024-12-08 03:29

    Nothing like the correct tool for the job.

  23. #23Joe H2024-12-08 06:21

    Don't miss this, party time in Blackbutt.

  24. #24Pony2024-12-08 14:29

    I saw some huskies and a dog sled in that video. I reckon Coaldust got so excited googling about the bakery, he just had to come over for a sample?

  25. #25wlhequipment2024-12-10 11:28

    How do you not go to something called the Blackbutt Avacado Festival? I want a T shirt.

  26. #26Joe H2024-12-10 11:37

    Maybe one of those skirts the guys around the avocado are wearing ? Might be a bit cool for Colorado this time of year though. Joe H