Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuff I see

95zIV ยท 2007-10-14 23:57

I just figured I'd post some pictures of the stuff I see both being transported and just sitting along the rail.

Replies27
  1. #195zIV2007-10-15 00:02

    Just some more The pilot working with us was watching this train go by and he says to us "here comes tanks", we thought he meant tank cars, by the time I realized what he meant and got my camera they where down the track aways, but I tried none the less.

  2. #2Lashlander2007-10-15 01:55

    Nice pictures. Quite a change of scenery. Are those all taken in Vermont?

  3. #3BrianHay2007-10-15 02:12

    For sure, I enjoyed them to. The picture below the tanks ....... what is it?

  4. #4nedly052007-10-15 05:11

    Great pics, do you work for the railroad??

  5. #5wrenchbender2007-10-15 07:15

    Hi Brian, I think those used to be called Popcarts they're used fo RR track inspection and rail alignment if I remember correctly. This little critter has a couple of guys onboard it that check the tracks, it is also used to pull trailers loaded with replacement crossties while replacing them. There are a lot of different styles of these little fellers some have only one job and some have many duties. Some are equiped with a small crane with a grapple and are called tie cranes. BTW nice pics 95zIV

  6. #6Deas Plant2007-10-15 07:33

    Thanks. Hi, 95zIV. Interesting photos. That forklift looks as if it might owe something in its ancestry to a Scoopmobile H3 loader. Neat shot of the bridge and the stream under it too. Thank you for sharing.

  7. #7Electra_Glide2007-10-15 08:00

    Looks like a spiker. Used to insert and remove railroad spikes. Joe

  8. #8jazak2007-10-15 08:19

    Nice pics.

  9. #995zIV2007-10-15 08:29

    The one of the D-10 was in Washington, the rest where in Oregon. I don't work for the railroad directly, I test track here's a couple pictures of my truck. Electra_Glide, I think you're right that that's a spiker, but I wasn't paying attention to it, I see those all over, it was the rail car it was on I was really taking the picture of. That train is called a Scorpion, because at the far end if you look closely there's a ramp. You can't see it real well in the picture but it's not straight it's curled like a scorpions tail. It belongs to a steel gang that was working in the area and if they have to move the equipment all that far they load them on there and move them with a locomotive. Deas, you like the one of the bridge? here's one taken from the road bridge you see in that picture.

  10. #10Dozerboy2007-10-15 13:18

    Thats a old hoe who makes it anyone?

  11. #11BrianHay2007-10-15 13:49

    Thanks for the explanation wrenchbender and Electra_Glide. Sounds like those little buggers can be a lot of different things. Looks like you get to see not only cool stuff on your job but some beautiful countryside in your travels too

  12. #12digger242j2007-10-15 13:50

    I'd say it's a Hopto, similar to the one in this thread.

  13. #13thejdman042007-10-15 19:40

    nice pics

  14. #1495zIV2007-10-16 00:06

    And this is what the Excavator is This should help id the old girl, here's a couple of pictures of other excavators you don't see too much of. A first generation car-topper and a pretty good selection of rail gang equipment.

  15. #1595zIV2007-10-16 00:09

    I missed the rail equipment but It will have to wait until tomorrow night, the dial up I'm on tonight is SLOOOWWWW. I've finally started looking at what I've got for pictures, I didn't realize how many odball pieces of stuff I've got, so give me a day and I'll have some more.

  16. #16Countryboy2007-10-16 00:49

    That's the first time I've ever seen a JD 690C. Were they popular?

  17. #17Journey2007-10-19 17:55

    Nice pictures, particularly like the old excavators, their days of glory behind them. If they could talk...

  18. #18jimmyjack2007-10-19 19:28

    nice pics:drinkup so what does the pete do , hows it work

  19. #1995zIV2007-10-19 22:39

    Here's that picture of rail gang equipment. One of a BIG forklift, and some of a train refueling depot. The last one shows how they built the floor into a bowl so if something spills then it doesn't run out onto the ground and they can clean it up without a disaster.

  20. #2095zIV2007-10-19 22:46

    What does the Pete do? That's a track testing vehicle, we test for gage(width between the inside of the rails). Alignment(the straightness and smoothness of the rail side to side). And Surface(Up and down movement and cross level amounts). This the link to my work. http://www.hollandco.com/track-testing

  21. #21EZ TRBO2007-10-19 22:49

    Couldn't agree more, it would be like the movie CARS. Just think all the old equipment meeting at the fuel pumps and talking bout the good ol days. Thanks for the photos. Trbo

  22. #2295zIV2007-10-23 22:19

    Ok these weren't taken on the rail or by it but they're interesting pictures to me. These where taken on I-90 in Idaho and Montana. And a gift for my daughter, but I figured he'd make a pretty good co-pilot

  23. #2395zIV2007-10-23 22:26

    And now some bigger stuff And more on my trip from Spokane to Minneapolis.

  24. #24Lashlander2007-10-24 00:55

    Ahh memories! Been down that highway many times. When the speed limit was 55, anything under 80 was a wasteing energy citation. The fine was $5.00 and you paid the patrolman. When I was hauling cattle it used to average around $15.00 to get me too Missoula. Just the cost of doing businesss.:usa

  25. #25mtb3452007-10-25 15:20

    the challenger pulling the pan reminds me of the good times i had in ga back in 98

  26. #26bucket2007-11-08 03:14

    thanks that was a nice ride on the rail.a lot of cool stuff.

  27. #27thejdman042007-11-08 20:32

    great great pics:notworthy