Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stump Burner

stars&bars44 · 2018-09-10 19:55

I saw a guy a few years back with a blower attached to a tractor burning stumps. Basically a big pit with a ditch dug out and the tractor was blowing down the ditch to the bottom of the pile. I cant remember but I think it worked pretty well for them. Anybody have any ideas like that? What size blower would I need. I have 12 acres of stumps and I want to experiment with it. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Junkyard2018-09-10 20:10

    Sounds like a poor man’s air curtain trench burner to me. Similar concept anyway.

  2. #2sled dog2018-09-10 20:20

    Old clearing contractor that used to be around here used trailer mounted 327 chevys with reversed 2 blade airplane props...

  3. #3DIYDAVE2018-09-10 20:27

    I would think the bigger, the better, depends on what you have to power it. A 3 point hitch golf course leaf blower would keep a 20-30 hp tractor busy. I'd get a used one, and experiment with the size of the pit you intend on making...

  4. #4CM19952018-09-10 20:39

    Trench burner I rented back in 2014 for a clearing project. The pic is not representative of how the pit should be loaded but we were on a time crunch to beat the burn ban with green wood. This was a McPherson Systems I rented from the Manufacturer in Tifton, GA. I couldn't find one to rent locally so I had to go get it. Owned an Air Burner T300 that we burned 70 acres of stumps and logging slash. The debris was dry and the T300 was an incinerator. We kept a 320 at the burn pit, by the time he went from one end of the pit to the other loading it the debris was burned. That operator and machine went like a typewriter filling that pit day in and day out. The bigger stumps would take awhile to burn but the slash burned quickly and created the heat you need. What makes this process work so well is the air manifold and the size/depth of the pit. You need the CFM from the fan and the manifold to get the incinerator effect. The fan and the power source could be made from many items but the manifold is what makes the concept work. From the Air Burner website on the method. https://airburners.com/technology/principle/

  5. #5Michael Schmitt2018-09-11 14:44

    There are many ways to skin a CAT. Please call or email and I would be happy to go over the technology of air curtain burning. There are used machines as well as new machines that are available all over the country from our dealers. Michael Schmitt Air Burners [email protected] Cell 772-631-8140 Office 772-220-7303

  6. #6CM19952018-09-11 19:00

    Welcome to the Forums Michael. Please take a moment to look over the Forum Rules - Forum Rules Look forward to any knowledge you can share on the technology but we frown on using the site as a direct sales platform. Thank you for you cooperation.