Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stump the TLB expert

CAT D9H ยท 2009-11-15 03:55

Heres the question , Who built the first rubber tire TLB and what year was it released? and was it operated by hydraulics? I hope some one knows because I dont, I think it was Case though

Replies3
  1. #1RonG2009-11-15 05:45

    Do a search here.I just read a thread about that but cannot remember where.I think it was on the Classic Machinery board in the UK.I think that it was a company that Case acquired along the way.My mind does not retain things that I won't be using in the next few minutes very well any more .Ron G

  2. #2Chris55002009-11-15 05:53

    I do believe it was Joseph Cyril Bamford (JCB) of Rocester, England, in 1957 which he called the "hydra-digga" which incorporated the excavator and the loader as a single multi-purpose tool and it was infact hydraulic. Here it is:

  3. #3CM19952009-11-15 09:56

    Here is the HEF thread. And here is my in depth, 5 min Google search of the topic - JCB produced their first one in 1953 named the MK1 It was followed in 1957 with the Hydra Digga. The rest of that webpage has some interesting history on JCB and Mr. Bamford. Case produced their first backhoe in 1957 . It looks like prior to 1957, you could put a backhoe and loader attachment on a tractor but Case didn't make a dedicated unit. Case's merger with ATC (American Tractor Company) spawned the creation. Looks like they both were hyd.