Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sub frame removal

big b ยท 2012-02-27 01:51

I have a little project and was wondering what was the best way to remove a cement mixer sub frame. The subframe is welded to the truck frame, Is a torch better or grinder with a cutoff wheel i just dont want to destroy the truck frame. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies5
  1. #1RayF2012-02-27 08:12

    Try and snip the welds with a thin cutting disc.Try not to torch it, You don't want to get the chassis rails to hot.

  2. #2Diagonal Brace2012-02-27 14:30

    It may be obvious but try not to cut into the truck frame. Id recommend the cutting disc as well.

  3. #3willie592012-02-27 19:46

    Kind of hard for us to give accurate advice on method without seeing what we're working with. And I'm not suggesting to not worry about heating frame with torch, only wanted to state that frame has already been heated by welding the mixer to truck frame. Without seeing the work area, I might consider using a gouger to cut either steel of mixer frame or gouge welds.

  4. #4Dualie2012-02-28 01:52

    air arc/carbon arc

  5. #5big b2012-02-28 04:37

    Thanks for the help everyone I will post up some picks of what Im working with tommorow.